New Tool Released: SpectrophotometricColorCalibration (SPCC)

sorry, still a bit confused here. I have files called GEDR3 (see above), but on the website, it shows files called just GDR3

Is the E significant? Should I replace GEDR3 files with GDR3 files?

gedr3 files had been superseded by gdr3 files some time ago if I'm not mistaken. Are they of any use for any of the processes ? Can we delete them to save harddisk room ?

Is the E significant? Should I replace GEDR3 files with GDR3 files?

Yes, it is.
GEDR3 files are from the old (an now obsolete) EDR3 catalog.
GDR3 files are from the DR3 catalog.

In the dowload area you now will find only

DR3 catalog for astrometry, needed by plate solver (download the files according to your system magnitude limit) .
DR3/SP catalog for spectrophotometry, needed by SPCC (download the small or complete catalog, NOT BOTH).

After some googling I realized that "edr" means "Early Data release"... This old catalog had been obsoleted when they made DR3 files available. So answering my question, it should be quite safe to delete the old gedr3 files.

by the way, I also realized that I have been using this obsolete star catalogue all this time.. I must have overlooked the announcement regarding the release of the new DR3 files...

DR2 and EDR3 database are now considered obsolete.

the current official database for astrometry is DR3 that counts more than 1.800.000.000 sources.

DR3/SP is a subset of DR3 containing more than 220.000.000 sources with spectroscopic data, this is why, even if DR3/SP contains astrometric data, it cannot be considered a replacement dor DR3: DR3 contains much more sources needed for robust astrometric measurements.
So we need to hold the DR3 and DR3/SP on the hard drives?

Great new tool! I'm finding that that I only get it to solve on uncropped images. If the edges are only slightly cropped (which is my usual first processing step), the solving fails.

EDIT: I've just read that cropping removes the solution provided by WBPP and that cropping to remove stacking artifacts can be done auromatically in WBPP.

Last edited:
I have loaded the database files in a subdirectory, how do I incorporate them into SPCC using linux?

Thank you Vincent, I did get a solution using your message above (I am using a linear image of NGC7479) but when I run SPCC now, PI returns:

*** Error: Insufficient data: only 3 sample(s) are available; at least 5 are required.

This has popped up in other places here with no responses.

Last edited:
Just to check my understanding, I am using a ASI2600MC pro, so I assume I set sensor to IMX571 and the filters to R/G/B with UV/IR cut
1669124610829.png

One thing that might help is a link from the Software Distribution page to instructions on which database sets are needed for which tools and how to reference them in the Gaia tool. These instructions should be updated each time there is a new update. Currently instructions are split into each new announcement and we forget which is for what.
Casual or new users will have questions about which of the 100+Gb downloads to use now that we have APASS DR10, APASS DR9, Gaia DR3, Gaia DR3/SP (complete set), Gaia DR3/SP (small set) to choose from. And can we delete the Gaia DR2, and (APM and ANSVR are for something else but still needed for those other elses)?
It's getting complex.

another thing that would help is a "stay logged in" checkbox on the software distribution page. These things take for ever to download so at least a non-timeout on the login would help. Thanks

Configure approximate coordinates of center, approximate date, focal length and pixel size
I think what people are going to miss though is being able to grab that with the click of a button from the FITS headers. No one wants to have to enter all of that manually when it's right there in the file. If that functionality can be added to ImageSolver (always wondered why it was never there in the first place but it didn't matter much in practice when PCC had it), that would make a lot of casual (and not so casual users) happy.

I think what people are going to miss though is being able to grab that with the click of a button from the FITS headers. No one wants to have to enter all of that manually when it's right there in the file. If that functionality can be added to ImageSolver (always wondered why it was never there in the first place but it didn't matter much in practice when PCC had it), that would make a lot of casual (and not so casual users) happy.
Completely agree! I hadn't appreciated this point until you mentioned it.

With PCC I only had to run Image Solver first when the image lacked the relevant FITS tags. But SPCC seems to always need Image Solver to be run first (even when the image has all the relevant FITS header data).

Back