Weighted Batch Preprocessing update - v1.4.0

i think probably what you want is to tick the box called "compute weights after registration" in the Subframe Weighting section of the WBPP UI.

rob

How does the script handle different temperatures for dark frames? I started on an image in June when my camera (16200) could maintain -10c but now the nights are over 90 degrees so the best it could do last night -6c. I'm taking a separate set of darks but will the right darks get matched with the right lights? Will dark optimization mean that this isn't an issue?

PI doesn't ever look at dark temperature. it simply scales the master dark (if asked to) until the noise in the resultant calibrated frame is minimized.

i guess if you wanted WBPP to temperature-match darks you'd have to make up a fictitious exposure time and load all the lights and darks at -6c under that exposure time, using Add Custom.

rob

Is the recommendation to stack -6c and -10c dark frames together and let PixInsight optimize or just to stack -10c dark frames and let PixInsight optimize?

i don't know if there are any specific recommendations about this. what i was trying to describe was a situation where you have two master darks, -6c and -10c, and you attempt to calibrate the -6c frames with the -6c darks (and -10c with -10c) using WBPP.

seems like its probably not a good idea to integrate darks of different temperature together but i don't have direct experience with it.

rob

my recommendation is: Stick to one single temperature and do not optimize darkframes at all.
Better make proper darks and avoid dark scaling.

It would be fantastic if WBPP could calibrate on temperature, in addition to exposure time, for those of us that live in the southwest. It kind of works with fake exposure times but with 31 hours of data its a bear to manage, especially since WBPP doesn't show the temperature property from the FITS file.

it would be a heavy lift as PI itself does not pay attention to sensor temperature. or are you suggesting WBPP should segregate input frames by temperature as well as filter and match a dark based on temperature? that is probably doable.

it would be a heavy lift as PI itself does not pay attention to sensor temperature. or are you suggesting WBPP should segregate input frames by temperature as well as filter and match a dark based on temperature? that is probably doable.
Yeah WBPP should segregate input frames by temperature.

Is the calculation of FWHM, Eccentricity and SNR parallelized? I notice that the average load of my linux computer falls down to 2 and something, when actually 4 processors are available.

One minor thing with the WBPP script:

Experienced behavior:
If you tick "Save frame groups on exit", then exit, then reopen, the "Output Directory" setting seems to be empty and nothing is displayed in the box. When you then open the directory selection box, the saved directory (or current directory) is displayed. In my case that was the directory I wanted to have and the "select" botton was grayed out.

Expected behavior:
If you tick "Save frame groups on exit", then exit, then reopen, the "Output Directory" displays the setting that was selected before closing.

Platform: Ubuntu Linux 18.04. PI 1.8.8-6.

A feature I am missing from the old batch pre process script was the ability to check to use a master bias, flat, or dark.

Right now I am trying to use WBPP and I have a master bias, but I am integrating the dark and flat frames using raw files, no masters.

WBPP keeps trying to make the first flat frame a master flat. I realize that it is looking int eh fits header to determine if the subs are masters or not but it is failing to work properly so I cannot properly calibrate my data. Can we please bring back the ability to simply tell if each frame is a master or a group of data?

Also, I commonly shoot different exposure sets. Sometimes I even shoot at different gains.

It would be great if we could batch calibrate per exposure and per gain so that we could register and integrate all of the calibrated frames at once.
right now I have to go through and calibrate each exposure length. Then I manually register all the calibrated frames and manually integrate all of the registered frames.

Hi,
Right now I am trying to use WBPP and I have a master bias, but I am integrating the dark and flat frames using raw files, no masters.

WBPP keeps trying to make the first flat frame a master flat. I realize that it is looking int eh fits header to determine if the subs are masters or not but it is failing to work properly so I cannot properly calibrate my data. Can we please bring back the ability to simply tell if each frame is a master or a group of data?
If I understand correctly, you've added some flat frames and WBPP recognizes the first as the master of the group. This happens for two reasons, the word "master" is written in the value of the flat's IMAGETYP keyword, or, most probably, the full path of the file contains the word "master". In the second case you have to uncheck the global option "include the file path to detect Masters".

Also, I commonly shoot different exposure sets. Sometimes I even shoot at different gains.

It would be great if we could batch calibrate per exposure and per gain so that we could register and integrate all of the calibrated frames at once.
right now I have to go through and calibrate each exposure length. Then I manually register all the calibrated frames and manually integrate all of the registered frames.

This can be already done by using the keyword GAIN since this keyword is usually written into the FITS header. Depending if you need only to separate the groups by gain during the calibration or if you want to manage separately gropus with different gain up to the integration you can enable this keyword for calibration only or for both calibration and post processing.

If needed, you'll have do adjust the matching between your flats and your light groups if the gain does not match.

Anyway, this scenario should be manageable with the current 2.1.2 version.

Let us know if you need further support!!
Robyx

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you've added some flat frames and WBPP recognizes the first as the master of the group. This happens for two reasons, the word "master" is written in the value of the flat's IMAGETYP keyword, or, most probably, the full path of the file contains the word "master". In the second case you have to uncheck the global option "include the file path to detect Masters".

This can be already done by using the keyword GAIN since this keyword is usually written into the FITS header. Depending if you need only to separate the groups by gain during the calibration or if you want to manage separately gropus with different gain up to the integration you can enable this keyword for calibration only or for both calibration and post processing.

If needed, you'll have do adjust the matching between your flats and your light groups if the gain does not match.

Anyway, this scenario should be manageable with the current 2.1.2 version.

Let us know if you need further support!!
Robyx

Thanks Rob. I realized that I had named teh master folder for the flats on my PC, Master Flats instead of Flats. I fixed that and the issue went away as would be expected.

Im going to have to try what you suggest with my light frames regarding gain. Does this also take into account exposure times?

Thanks Rob. I realized that I had named teh master folder for the flats on my PC, Master Flats instead of Flats. I fixed that and the issue went away as would be expected.

Im going to have to try what you suggest with my light frames regarding gain. Does this also take into account exposure times?
Yes, exposure times are always taken into account. The exposure tolerance parameter in the corrispondente image type panel is also relevant to determine how much exposure difference you tolerate when grouping frames by exposures.

good to hear that you were able to proceed :)
Robyx

When I opened Pixinsight, I was prompted to install updates. After the installations I no longer have WBPP. The update that is installed is 1.8.8-8. How can I get WBPP back?

Back