not a bug WBPP Failing to measure file

Roy Hagen

I don't know if this is a bug or if it is me doing something wrong, but since last update i`ve been unable to run a complete process in WBPP.
The script quits during the process and the following message: "!!! Error frame measurement failed for all light frames."
The script worked fine pre update, running the same images as post update.
I have two rigs and the same result for both cameras and objects.
All PI updates and operating system is mac OS 12.3

Update:
Reinstalled PI without update WBPP and the script runs well.

Attachments

• ProcessLogger_M81.txt
    183.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Bilde 19.03.22 klokken 21.24.jpg
    Bilde 19.03.22 klokken 21.24.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Bilde 19.03.22 klokken 21.25.jpg
    Bilde 19.03.22 klokken 21.25.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Bilde 19.03.22 klokken 21.27.jpg
    Bilde 19.03.22 klokken 21.27.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hi @Roy Hagen,
WBPP is configured to generate separate RGB channels, I guess that there is something wrong in the calibration phase, have you inspected your files?

Open a debayered mono channel and see f it contains reasonable data, if not check your master dark not to be affected by light infiltrations, try calibrating without flats and see what's the difference...

otherwise you may share the data and we can look into it!

Robyx

Thanks for reply
I ran two different processes from different camera and it failed on both, but no problem before last update.
M82 and M 81 I finished after downgrading by reinstalling PI and I did not update WBPP.
The other process is SH2-290, attached one single sub
The script seem to run on my MacBook Pro M1, but not on my iMac 2019 but I cannot run a full process on the MacBook due to little internal hard drive space.
I haven't updated java lately on the iMac and I will update as soon as possible.
Attached to the original post is the process log

Attachments

• M81_M82.jpeg
    M81_M82.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Light_SH2_290_180_0s_Bin1_2600_gain100_20220309_214613_19_6C_0048_a_RGB_VNG.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 49
what do you see if you open this: /Volumes/PI Prosess/Prosess_ASI071/debayered/Light_BIN-1_EXPOSURE-180.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_CFA/Light_M81_180.0s_Bin1_071_gain90_20220311-193150_-19.8C_0005_a_c_1_d_R.xisf ?

I actually don't know.
This process is deleted and I am running a new process, 6 hrs of the Markarians Chain,(same camera) and I've opened a file in the new debayered folder, and I see a lightframe full of stars and galaxies.
This process is finished and ran well without installing the latest updates to PI and WBPP.
I will try to install the latest Java and install PI updates and run the same process again.
I will come back later

Running the script now, after re-installing PI and the WBPP script.
Process: 404subs, SH2-290, 180s ASI2600C start of the integration process now, and the script seem to run fine.
It seems to me that the re-installing somehow worked
I will be back if the problems continues
Thanks for answering

I'm having the exact same problem. The WBPP fails at the measurement stage. The log has the following error (multiple time for each light):

*** Warning: Failed to measure /Users/diete/Pictures/Astro/2024-03-19/WBPP Output/debayered/Light_BIN-1_6252x4176_EXPOSURE-150.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_CFA/2024-03-19_22-21-07__-10.00_150.00s_0024_LIGHT_c_d.xisf, image will be discarded. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Pixinsight and get the same message. When I look at a raw light image and stretch it, it appears to be a fine image. Once it's debayered and I stretch it I only see a few stars, the galaxy is not visible. I've attached the log file.

Attachments

• ProcessLogger4.txt
    9.5 KB · Views: 13
I'm having the exact same problem. The WBPP fails at the measurement stage. The log has the following error (multiple time for each light):

*** Warning: Failed to measure /Users/diete/Pictures/Astro/2024-03-19/WBPP Output/debayered/Light_BIN-1_6252x4176_EXPOSURE-150.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_CFA/2024-03-19_22-21-07__-10.00_150.00s_0024_LIGHT_c_d.xisf, image will be discarded. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Pixinsight and get the same message. When I look at a raw light image and stretch it, it appears to be a fine image. Once it's debayered and I stretch it I only see a few stars, the galaxy is not visible. I've attached the log file.
This is usually caused by oversubtraction of the dark during calibration, which is usually related to offset and/or gain mismatches between darks and lights, frequently because they were collected with different software. Look at the statistics for one of your calibrated images that fails. You should not see any zeros in the data.

Thank you! I just checked the FITS header for the lights and the darks and I'm optimistic that is the solution. The gain and offsets are significantly different for both lights and darks. I use darks from a dark library. I'll redo the darks with the same settings and retry WBPP. Thank you for your help.

Thanks again. It worked. Now I have another problem. Before I received your feedback I removed and reinstalled PixInsight from my Mac. Now I seem to have lost Blur Xterminator, Noise Xterminator, Star Xterminator and //. I no longer have a Tools folder in Scripts. I've gone to Resources, Updates, Manage Repositories and the links for all are there, yet when I go to check updates I get a no updates available dialog box. Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again. It worked. Now I have another problem. Before I received your feedback I removed and reinstalled PixInsight from my Mac. Now I seem to have lost Blur Xterminator, Noise Xterminator, Star Xterminator and Graxpert. I no longer have a Tools folder in Scripts. I've gone to Resources, Updates, Manage Repositories and the links for all are there, yet when I go to check updates I get a no updates available dialog box. Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? Thank you!
You can try to do a Reset Updates from the menu, and let it reload everything.

Back