cannot reproduce Subframe selector crashing, even after PI release upgrade (macOS Sonoma)

AstroHabu

Hi everyone,

since a couple of weeks I'm experiencing crash in Subframe selector, which at the end seems not working anymore. In the past it happened from time to time, but generally it was enough changing either some parameter, or the working directory, and everything was fine. Now there is no way to proceed anymore. I also tried to purge the persistent cache, but no effect.
Until a few days ago I was working on a previous release which I installed one year ago (PI 1.8.9-1 ? Not sure...), now I've upgraded to 1.8.9-2 hoping to fix things, but no changes, still crashing.
I'm on a MBP Pro M1 with Sonoma 14.3.1 and everything was fine until some weeks ago.
I'm quite disappointed as Subframe selector was fixed part of my usual workflow... btw, any alternative suggested?
Crash report attached.

Thank you,
Carlo

Attachments

• Crash Report.txt
    168.8 KB · Views: 17
Hi Carlo,

Unfortunately, I'm having pretty much the same issue! Pixinsight 1.1.8.9-2, Sonoma 14.4.1, MBP Pro M1. Anecdotally, I appear to have PI crash when I process a batch of images that contain images that the software can't detect any stars. I've been using the blink tool to try and remove these obviously poor images before putting the balance of the batch into subframe selector. Have you had any response from the PI developers on this issue?

They already responded, do you see that label "cannot reproduce", that's the answer. It means exactly that, that they cannot reproduce the problem. So don't expect a fix anytime soon.

That said, I hardly use SS anymore, but WBPP which is doing a pretty good job selecting the best frames.

And it seems that the problems between PI and Sonoma refuse to go away. I still use Ventura and have had no problems.

They already responded, do you see that label "cannot reproduce", that's the answer. It means exactly that, that they cannot reproduce the problem. So don't expect a fix anytime soon.

That said, I hardly use SS anymore, but WBPP which is doing a pretty good job selecting the best frames.

And it seems that the problems between PI and Sonoma refuse to go away. I still use Ventura and have had no problems.
WBPP invokes SFS, so an interesting question would be, does WBPP work in these cases where SFS crashes?

The only thing I can add is that, mysteriously, after a month SFS started to work fine again *without* any upgrade, bug fix, changes, etc., neither on my Mac, nor from PI. Don't know why, don't have answers. And to give an answer to Marky, just yesterday it processed around 100 subs half of them without stars (which, correctly, discarded at all). So I really don't have any idea 🤯

Back