PI crash on Ubuntu 20.04

guy

Hi,
I have a crash on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 install, with error messages as follows.
Thank you for your help
Guy

PixInsight Core 1.8.8-6 Ripley (x64)
Copyright (c) 2003-2020 Pleiades Astrophoto

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), linuxfb (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), minimal (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), minimalegl (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), offscreen (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), vnc (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), wayland-egl (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), wayland (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), wayland-xcomposite-egl (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), wayland-xcomposite-glx (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), webgl (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), xcb (from /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./lib/qt-plugins/platforms), eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

./PixInsight.sh: line 37: 16819 Aborted (core dumped) /home/guy/Téléchargements/pixinsight/PixInsight/bin/./PixInsight

Hi Guy,

This cannot be reproduced under normal working conditions. PixInsight 1.8.8-6 runs perfectly out-of-the-box on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

This happens because your desktop manager does not exist or is broken or incomplete for some reason. Are you using the server version of Ubuntu? In such case you'll probably have to install an X11 desktop manually. You should always install the desktop version. The recommended Linux distribution for PixInsight is Kubuntu, which is the only distribution we use on all of our development workstations.

No bug here.

Hi Juan,
Thank you for your quick answer.
I wiped out ubuntu 20.04 LTS and installed kubuntu 20.04 LTS instead. I still had a PI crash, but at least PI requested my license codes before crashing, and I corrected this crash easily by doing "sudo rm /opt/PixInsight/bin/StarNet-pxm.so" as per your advice in an other post.
I am surprised PI did not run on ubuntu 20.04, because it did on all ubuntu versions from 14LTS to 18LTS. Anyway I will stay with kubuntu for the time being, even though I am not a great fan of KDE.

OK, I know what happens. For some odd reason Ubuntu 20.04 lacks some important packages that are necessary for version 1.8.8-6 of PixInsight on Linux. This is a distribution packaging error IMO.

The following command fixes this problem and allows you to work on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS without problems:

sudo apt-get install libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-xtest0-dev libxcb-xinerama0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-xkb-dev

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The following command fixes this problem and allows you to work on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS without problems:
sudo apt-get install libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-xtest0-dev libxcb-xinerama0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-xkb-dev
OK, that was it ! Now I can run PI on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS without problems.
Thank you

I had the same problem on a nearly-fresh installation of Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. For what it's worth, none of the "-dev" installs were necessary. The randr0, shape0, and xkb libraries (not -dev) were installed automatically by Ubuntu already (I did install GIMP, so perhaps that's why they were there). The xtest0 library is not installed on my system. I installed the xinerama0 library when I saw that the libqxcb Qt plugin needed it, and PixInsight subsequently worked.

So, to sum up, on my system "apt install libxcb-xinerama0" was all I needed to do.

The libqeglfs Qt plugin wants libQt5EglFSDeviceIntegration.so.5 which is not found on my system, but that doesn't stop PixInsight from starting.

So I guess my only question is: should I install the xtest0 library anyway?

Last edited:
Yes, you are right: only libxcb-xinerama0 is necessary. Since I am working on development all the time, I always tend to install -dev packages to solve anything, and often more packages than what it strictly necessary. A professional point of view that does not fit what most users normally expect, sorry about that.

As for xtest, I don't think it's necessary at all, if PixInsight is now working on your machine.

Back