New Script: Image Enhancement of the Sun, Moon and Planets

Hi Lamar
We are nearly there with the GUI.

Just checking are you in "Full Desktop" or "Full Screen" in PixInsight?

The icon comes in fixed size and are tiny in your screen but not in my 1920x1080.

I take second look at the menu choices.

Benny

Hi Lamar
We are nearly there with the GUI.

Just checking are you in "Full Desktop" or "Full Screen" in PixInsight?

The icon comes in fixed size and are tiny in your screen but not in my 1920x1080.

I take second look at the menu choices.

Benny
For working space and resolution, they are both the same. PixInsight launches the window fills the entire display. If I click on the icon "Restore Down" only the title bar changes. Then I click on the icon again "Maximize" and the title bar changes but the rest of the display stays the same.

Hey Benny - do I recall reading here that you like a challenge? :)
Have you come across LTVT? Lunar Terminator Visualisation Tool? It's (as far as I know) an abandoned application but it's availing here on Github. LTVT Github . It's a visualisation tool, but the interesting bit here is that it can be used to label features on your own image. So having run your script then LTVT can annotate the result. At the moment I run it on Mac with Crossover (Wine) and it works fine. But it would be quite something to have it in PI. This is a lot of work!! But its also quite a challenge.....

An improvement would be better quality output......
Dom

Attachments

• LTVT_Image.jpg
    LTVT_Image.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 63
Hi Lamar and all other with high resolution screens

I Include a new version of Sun, Moon and planets ver 1.3.0 New GUI 2.

Hope it works. Fingers croosed.

Benny

Attachments

• Sun, Moon and planets ver 1.3.0 New GUI 2.zip
    47.8 KB · Views: 119
HI Dom

Concerning the bright limb of the Moon. I am still working on it. Have test some ideas with no success.

Benny

How is it going for you with the latest version 1-3-0 new gui 2.
Hi Benny,

I just installed the latest version of the script on a Mac OS 13.6.3, PixInsight build 1597, with a 5120 x 2880 pixel monitor, and everything works great with the interface, all menus good, and all buttons work as far as I can tell. This is a great script!

Initially I found the use of the STF | Zoom | Window a bit confusing because it groups commands that are not functionally related: STF, Zoom, and Quit (which is labelled Window, super confusing). Once you know its not a problem, but splitting these out would be nice.

I would love to see a tutorial written by an experienced solar system imager. I've only done deep sky, so this is new to me, although the approaches are familiar; I just need some practice.

Mark

Hi Frank

I am glad that the script works on your screen with more than UHD.

Thanks for your comments. I agree that the STF | Zoom | Window can be confusing. I have a look. A tutorial will now be on my list.
This script was publish in this forum to fill a gap for non Deep Sky issues.

Actual you can use the script for sharpening nebuals. Use the Statistical differencing algorithm. Set input parameters to: Window=5x5
Gain =5 (or higher) Mean=0.1 StdDev=0.1. Set the STF to nonliner and adjust the Shadows and Midtones. Se the included images.

I have already started a new scrip dedicated to sharpening nebulae objects in the Deep Sky.

One again thank you.

Benny

NGC_6992_org.jpg

NGC_6992_org
NGC_6992_Sharp.jpg

NGC_6992_sharp

Hi

Here is a new version 1.4.0 of Sun, Moon and Planets.
  • Two new algorithms: Triangle-Van Cittert and Cosinus-Van Cittert. These two algorithms are developed to handle bright ring around the Moon and they it do it very well. It also turned out that the two algorithms also are good for general enhancement. Adjust the q0 parameter to be less than 1.
  • The input parameters RelaxA and RelaxB in Jansson-Van Cittert algorithm are removed. They had no influense of the image quality.
  • The STF function is separed from the Zoom function.
  • New layout of STF: The STF are separeted in two groups; One without autoSTF and the other with autoSTF. To have an autoSTF in very important when you changes the input parameters, otherwise the image change its intensity.
  • The maximize and minimize of the window is moved to top of the menues.
Benny

P.S.
The tutorial for high-resolution images is almost finished.

Attachments

• Sun, Moon, Planets ver 1.4.0.zip
    51.2 KB · Views: 70
Looking good Benny

So Triangle-Van Cittert or Cosinus-Van Cittert on the Moon and still Statistical Differencing on the Sun with StdDev = 0.15 and mean = 0.8, rest as default. Midtone 0.8?

A couple of full disk sun and moon images here if they help....

Attachments

• Sun_Drizzle15.png
    Sun_Drizzle15.png
    369 KB · Views: 43
  • 2024-04-19 Stack JPG.png
    2024-04-19 Stack JPG.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 48
Hi Dom

Statistical Differencing on the Sun:
Window = 3x3
Gain = 30
Mean = 0.8
StdDev = 0.1

Midtone 0.8 is Ok.

The Sun look nice with these parameters!
Try it.

Benny

Hi Dom

I sending you settings for the latest Sun and Moon images. As these images have very weak bright ring around the Moon and the Sun it is possible to use FFT, Statistical Differencing (SD) and Jansson-Van Cittert (JVS) algorithms.

Is the exposure time shoter for the latest images?

The settings is in the form of Process Icons. Just drop it on the image and run it. Have fun!

Benny

Attachments

• Process Icons.zip
    9.6 KB · Views: 30
Hi Dom

I sending you settings for the latest Sun and Moon images. As these images have very weak bright ring around the Moon and the Sun it is possible to use FFT, Statistical Differencing (SD) and Jansson-Van Cittert (JVS) algorithms.

Is the exposure time shoter for the latest images?

The settings is in the form of Process Icons. Just drop it on the image and run it. Have fun!

Benny
Thanks Benny - exposures were about the same length I think. I'll have a look at the processes - very generous - thanks

Hi Mark and all other Near-Sky lovers

Here is a tutorial for the Sun Moon and planets. The tutorial reprensents all my knowledge on the subject?

Please let me know if some subjects are missing or are not understanable.

Benny

P.S. Click > Tutorial Sun Moon Planets > scripts > ...

Attachments

• Tutorial Sun Moon Planets.zip
    54.9 KB · Views: 33
Back