Metacity from Ubuntu Natty and stuck windows

papaf

Hi all,
I encountered a problem after an upgrade to natty narwhal (Ubuntu 11.04). Windows of tools opened inside PixInsight are stuck in the middle of the screen and I cannot move them. When I grab them they become translucent but are stuck. I'm talking about tools like ACDNR, for example.
I made some tests and if I launch a different WM, say xfwm4 from xfce, all works. It seems this version of metacity has something against PI. Actually, I've found this in my console where I launched metacity in:

Avviso del window manager: Specificato un WM_TRANSIENT_FOR finestra 0x4400004 non valido per 0x4400019 (PixInsight).

Sorry it's in italian, but the message should be clear. If not, I'll launch metacity with a different LANG env.

Fabio

Edit: same message in english:

Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0xe00004 specified for 0xe00019 (PixInsight).

Hi Fabio,

Does this happen with PixInsight 1.7 too? Let me upgrade my Ubuntu virtual machine to 11.04 to see what happens...

Yes it does. I tried changing the wm to openbox and the problem disappears. I now use it by default.
11.04 isn't a great release. I am unable to use desktop effects, for example, because it locks up all my windows. Maybe it's me...

Fabio

Back