Is a MARS process imminent?

aatdalt

Hello, I've seen examples of MARS being used in the official pixinsight YouTube knowledge base videos. I've also seen the coverage map shown a few weeks back. Is an update imminent that will let us use this tool?

We are currently working on the first version of the MultiscaleGradientCorrection tool. It will use a database with preliminary MARS data for most of the northern hemisphere and will also allow you to select custom reference images.

The complexity of this process is considerable, but if all goes as expected (and we have reasons to be optimistic), it's a matter of weeks.

Wow, thats great news. I honestly think that the MARS project will be the biggest leap in image processing capabilities since some years!

@aatdalt where did you find the coverage map?

CS Gerrit

Wow, thats great news. I honestly think that the MARS project will be the biggest leap in image processing capabilities since some years!
Gradient management remains, arguably, the most subjective, by-guess-and-by-golly aspect of astronomical image processing. PI has done a great job of making most other processing very mathematically (and scientifically) rigorous. I look forward to gradient management becoming a substantially objective process, as well.

We are currently working on the first version of the MultiscaleGradientCorrection tool. It will use a database with preliminary MARS data for most of the northern hemisphere and will also allow you to select custom reference images.

The complexity of this process is considerable, but if all goes as expected (and we have reasons to be optimistic), it's a matter of weeks.
That's exciting news, thank you. Looking forward to using it. Also cool to hear that custom reference images will be a built-in option. Now to sit and find out how many weeks "weeks" is.

Great news, but what about the southern hemisphere?

Great news, but what about the southern hemisphere?

We are acquiring the first layer of actual MARS data (so far, we have acquired provisional data for testing/design purposes) under strictly controlled conditions from southern Spain with two dedicated observing stations. This requires significant economic, time, and logistical investments that we can only afford for the northern sky for now.

For the southern sky, we depend on user-contributed data, which we are gathering through the MARS data upload system. Logically, user-contributed images vary largely in all aspects related to acquisition conditions, so they require a lot of work to generate coherent and compatible data sets. We are also working on this, but it requires time and additional development efforts.

With custom reference images, you'll be able to apply the MultiscaleGradientCorrection tool using your data. You'll need to acquire two images at significantly different scales: a relatively wide-field reference image and a comparatively narrow-field image that will be corrected. This additional acquisition work will allow you to implement a completely objective gradient correction task.

Just for future planning purposes, what approximate ratio between focal lengths are we talking about?

I know that this is not a definite number, but a general range of ratios would be helpful to estimate what is needed for generating ones own reference images.

CS Gerrit

We are acquiring the first layer of actual MARS data (so far, we have acquired provisional data for testing/design purposes) under strictly controlled conditions from southern Spain with two dedicated observing stations. This requires significant economic, time, and logistical investments that we can only afford for the northern sky for now.

For the southern sky, we depend on user-contributed data, which we are gathering through the MARS data upload system. Logically, user-contributed images vary largely in all aspects related to acquisition conditions, so they require a lot of work to generate coherent and compatible data sets. We are also working on this, but it requires time and additional development efforts.

Thanks for the answer.

I just had this question, for using MARS on objects visible from both hemispheres, for example M42, is there any difference?

I was thinking the same thing.

That, and I won't need to move to a cabin in the Canadian wilderness to get good images.
I image from pristine skies, almost entirely clear of any light pollution induced gradients. But there are plenty of sources of natural gradients, that exist in the darkest of skies. No imaging location on Earth will get us away from needing gradient management tools.

I image from pristine skies, almost entirely clear of any light pollution induced gradients. But there are plenty of sources of natural gradients, that exist in the darkest of skies. No imaging location on Earth will get us away from needing gradient management tools.
After I started imaging from New Mexico, I learned how "bright" a quarter moon is. From a city it doesn't look bright, but from a B1 site I don't need any kind of flashlight while walking around.

After I started imaging from New Mexico, I learned how "bright" a quarter moon is. From a city it doesn't look bright, but from a B1 site I don't need any kind of flashlight while walking around.
I've seen my shadow cast by Venus. I've had gradients from zodiacal light, from gegenschein, from skyglow, from cloud layers too thin to be apparent to the eye. And, of course, from even very crescent moons.

Back