GHSastro Download Problem

klanes

After upgrade to the latest PI I am getting https://www.ghsastro.co.uk/updates/: Network error: Failed to connect to www.ghsastro.co.uk port 443 after 75039 ms: Operation timed out. This error is in the windows version and also the MAC. I checked my Mac which is on 1.8.9-1 build 1556 and I am seeing the same error. So it does seem to not be the update. The MAC does already have GHS installed. Is the ghsastro site down?

Thanks
Kurt

After upgrade to the latest PI I am getting https://www.ghsastro.co.uk/updates/: Network error: Failed to connect to www.ghsastro.co.uk port 443 after 75039 ms: Operation timed out. This error is in the windows version and also the MAC. I checked my Mac which is on 1.8.9-1 build 1556 and I am seeing the same error. So it does seem to not be the update. The MAC does already have GHS installed. Is the ghsastro site down?

Thanks
Kurt
There are often problems on that domain. Maybe worse after an update so it's getting a lot of hits. The problem is always transient. Keep trying and you'll get through.

Yeah, not only this but all the BlurX, NoiseX and StarX updates are dead. So am I dead in the water. No more early adoption of these updates.

Went back to previous version PI and all works again.

Last edited:
Yeah, not only this but all the BlurX, NoiseX and StarX updates are dead. So am I dead in the water. No more early adoption of these updates.

Went back to previous version PI and all works again.
All of those work fine with the latest release. You probably just needed to do a Reset Updates after installation.

I did not do that. Just did the check for updates. Is GHS still dead if you reset? No point in doing the new version if GHS is dead.

Back up and running. Never had to do the "reset" before.
Seems kind of random. Sometimes new installs don't handle Repository updates quite right. The most common failure seems to be going through the update process with apparent success, but some of the processes or scripts not showing up in menus.

I haven't been able to re-install GHS since yesterday. Resetting doesn't help. Ping-ing www.ghsastro.co.uk returns an "unknown host" error.

I wish PI would update without requiring re-installation of all plugins... :(

I did roughly 2 hours ago 2 installations, both had no problems in downloading all the scripts and modules.
Though there are sometimes issues with ghastro, they are pretty much fast resolved.
Can you make sure that you have the right address for ghastro in your repository?

Cheers
Tom

Perhaps I should've been clearer. I've been using GHS fine for a while. After I updated to the latest PI, GHS and only GHS would not re-install. Therefore, the address in the repository cannot be incorrect. But just in case, here is what I have.

Can other people try pinging ghsastro.co.uk? I've been getting request timeout

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 07.38.51.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 07.38.51.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 22
There is nothing apparently wrong with the site. There have been plenty of successful downloads of the module this morning. I have ping-ed successfully just now. Have you tried restarting your Mac?

Perhaps I should've been clearer. I've been using GHS fine for a while. After I updated to the latest PI, GHS and only GHS would not re-install. Therefore, the address in the repository cannot be incorrect. But just in case, here is what I have.

Can other people try pinging ghsastro.co.uk? I've been getting request timeout
Works fine for me. Pings go through, and I get the expected 404 error when I access the repository through my browser. The homepage comes up in my browser without problems. Where are you located? Maybe a network routing problem of some kind.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 075407.png

The GHS home page opens fine in my Windows / Firefox browser, but I guess the browser is designed to be resilient to a few timeouts. I've had no problems downloading from the GHS repository. But a few minutes ago I got the results posted above. I've just retried with 10 pings and got 100% OK, so this is clearly intermittent. (All UK based).

The GHS home page opens fine in my Windows / Firefox browser, but I guess the browser is designed to be resilient to a few timeouts. I've had no problems downloading from the GHS repository. But a few minutes ago I got the results posted above. I've just retried with 10 pings and got 100% OK, so this is clearly intermittent. (All UK based).
There have always been connectivity issues with that site. Maybe worse for some people than others, but always transient. Pretty certainly nothing to do with changes in PI after updates, though. It just gets noticed then because so many people are accessing the site then. But people report (and I've personally seen) connectivity issues pop up during routine automated updates, too. Until Mike is able to work out what his hosting service is doing wrong (and I think there's a good chance that's where the problem lies) the only solution is a bit of patience.

Back