FITS image files giving deprecated error when opening and only "gray" window (no RGB) opens in PixInsight

I am unable to open any image files from my OSC camera (new or old) within PixInsight to show color. The STF function also thinks the files are gray. The FITS header knows the camera is OSC. I get a deprecated FITS file warning message when reading the files. The file attached has screen captures of the behavior.

I have no idea what has happened.

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    233.8 KB · Views: 15
I am unable to open any image files from my OSC camera (new or old) within PixInsight to show color. The STF function also thinks the files are gray. The FITS header knows the camera is OSC. I get a deprecated FITS file warning message when reading the files. The file attached has screen captures of the behavior.

I have no idea what has happened.
The image from an OSC camera is gray until you debayer it.

In essence, they would be automatically debayered and I would get a gray window and an RGB window, without having to do anything else.
That seems to have disappeared and I don't know how to recover the previous setting.

In essence, they would be automatically debayered and I would get a gray window and an RGB window, without having to do anything else.
That seems to have disappeared and I don't know how to recover the previous setting.
If that feature existed, I haven't seen it. In any case, FITS format has been deprecated for a long time, but that warning doesn't impact the ability of PI to read FITS format files. Proper debayering requires information about the filter pattern and the origin of the image, which the debayer process allows to be configured, since the header information is frequently unreliable. So automatic conversion during file opening could be dodgy.

It has been working for me, every time I opened a file, I would get both an RGB and a gray window. Didn't have to run the debayering process at all. That's why I am confused and I am wondering if there is a setting to make this behavior a default.

I think that you are correct. I get RGB and gray images when I open files that have been created using WBPP to stack raw pictures. They get debayered in that process.

The topic was discussed recently in the following thread:
I think the OP in this topic is talking about OSC images captured in FITS format. I think the OP has now more or less worked out what is happening:
I get RGB and gray images when I open files that have been created using WBPP to stack raw pictures. They get debayered in that process
In other words, the input (raw captured .fits files) are (and always have been) displayed as grey CFA files. Only after the debayering step in WBPP are RGB files created (which will at that stage be .xisf files).

I think the OP in this topic is talking about OSC images captured in FITS format. I think the OP has now more or less worked out what is happening:

In other words, the input (raw captured .fits files) are (and always have been) displayed as grey CFA files. Only after the debayering step in WBPP are RGB files created (which will at that stage be .xisf files).
Well, that's not what's going on with my raw files, but yes, that seems likely to be the case with the situation described in this thread.

Back