Autentification error during udates

gvanhau

Hello I just installed the new version 1.7. (deinstalled previous 1.6.x)
When trying to install the bug fix I get a message telling Bad autentification??  :mad:

Regards
Geert

Attachments

• licpi.jpg
    licpi.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 32
In that case we have to wait till Juan can check the logs and provide some insight in what went wrong. It worked fine for me on two different systems so it isn't completely broken.

I've got this error on first try to download 1.7.0697 on PixInsight start-up.
Second try using Resources - Updates - Check for Updates menu item was successful with the same username/password...  ???

Hi Gents,

Looks like we have a little problem with some scripts on the server-side of the update system. I also have noticed some issues like the ones you're experiencing. As Yuriy says, it's a mater of trying several times. A few tries with Resources > Updates > Check for Updates and the system will accept your user name and password (please be careful when copying/pasting your password, not to include any whitespace at both ends).

I'll try to fix this issue as soon as possible. Anyway, today we'll upload new installation packages for version 1.7.0.697, so you can download the full package and reinstall. Then you'll have build 697 installed and only the script and documentation updates will be available for you.

Yeah, now it's failing for me too. Why do we need this authentication anyway? It is the only software I own that requires authenticated access to get updates. It's a pain. If PI must be downloaded securely how about using a built-in https or scp account to securely move bits around? I mean really. These measures won't stop any criminals and make things difficult for your licensed users.

This problem should now be solved. It was a bug in one of the php scripts that manages updates on the server. I have fixed this bug - or I hope so!

Please let me know if you experience similar problems again.

Why do we need this authentication anyway?

It is a small price to pay for a licensing system that does not associate your physical machine(s) with your software license. PixInsight's licensing system associates your license with your personal data. The whole strength of this system is based on user authentication.

In my opinion, the only problem has been the bug that I've fixed. If everything works well --as I hope will happen fron now on-- downloading a core package requires the same effort as logging in this forum or downloading an installation package from our website: just entering a user name and a password.

Thanks Geert, but unfortunately the problem persists; I've been unable to find this bug. I'm working to get it fixed ASAP.

Hi Geert and all,

This bug is now *definitely* fixed. From now on, core updates will work reliably and will accept correct user names and passwords without problems.

I know that a lot of users have had to suffer this problem and I apologize for that. Thanks to everybody for your support and patience.

Back