weird vignetting - assuming it is user error

joshtb86

hi i am getting these weird vignetting after gradient correction, even though i took appropriate flats with NINA - all my images are acquired with NINA

used the skyflat wizard to take these

this is a stacked image with flats darks and biases

I am using the qhy268c

ive attached a screenshot of the extreme auto stretch after stacking, then after gradient correction with default settings and simplified gradient set to 1

below is a link to the stacked tiff. i am re stacking - i noticed i still have some artifacts so i changed settings and am restacking

if anyone can assist taht would be great

did i screw up on the flats?

ive noticed sometimes this happened on older sets of data where i didnt take correct flats, but i did this time so i am not sure what happened

also in the workflow - i may be doing something outdated when researching it
i am using bias - which ive read is unnecessary with a modern CMOS
i am optimizing the darks when i calibrate my light exposures - this may be incorrect since they are the same exposure time and temperature of the lights
the flats were calibrated with darks and biases - darks optimized in this

i think i im subtracting bias 3 times with this and read i probably do not need bias frames with a modern cmos sensor like the imx571

thanks so much

https://drive.google...bL6?usp=sharing

Attachments

• halo2.png
    halo2.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 18
  • halo1.png
    halo1.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 16
so i reprocessed without bias and recalibrated all my images and still get it

i did not use bias - only flats and darks

im noticing im getting it after stacking - it really isnt noticeable in individual light frames

does this help troubleshoot?

so i reprocessed without bias and recalibrated all my images and still get it

i did not use bias - only flats and darks

im noticing im getting it after stacking - it really isnt noticeable in individual light frames

does this help troubleshoot?
Flats have to be calibrated. That is usually with bias frames, but sometimes with darks. Have to use one or the other, or the offset in the resulting flat will produce just the sort of result you're seeing.

Flats have to be calibrated. That is usually with bias frames, but sometimes with darks. Have to use one or the other, or the offset in the resulting flat will produce just the sort of result you're seeing.
I had been calibrating flats with darks and bias but notice this the last few times

Maybe I will need to retake the bias frames

They also need to be taken in relative darkness correct?

What exposure were the darks? What exposure were the flats? If the difference is more than about 10% you need either flat darks or bias frames (if your flats are short enough exposure).
Darks were 120 seconds flats were around .07 seconds, qhy268c

So I should recalibrate the flats with the darks without optimization?
Calibrate 0.07s flats with 120s darks??? Absolutely not.
These darks are useless for calibrating your flats. Calibrate them with bias only. But you should also in future attempt to capture flats with longer exposure (at least 1 - 2 s).

Calibrate 0.07s flats with 120s darks??? Absolutely not.
These darks are useless for calibrating your flats. Calibrate them with bias only. But you should also in future attempt to capture flats with longer exposure (at least 1 - 2 s).
Thanks for your help. I'm using the sky flat wizard in nina and that's what it's exposing for the appropriate adu

I wasn't having issues before until the last couple of recent targets

Are you using true (night-time) sky flats or "twilight" sky flats? If it is the latter, perhaps you need to take your flats when the sky is a bit darker.
it was around 4pm imaging away from the sun if i remember correctly sunset was at 6. is this too bright?

would it be easier to just use a flat panel for them?

Back