Updatges will not process Win32 error (5)

EGF

I have loaded Core ver 1.8.9-2 (x64) build 1601. When starting first time after it says I have 15 updates. I click to load updates then close PI and ask it to restart. I get the following error message
Win32 error (5): Access is denied.
: C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/Pleiades/core-001-pxi.settings

Spent time off and on trying to sort this out for a few days now. I have searched the forum and google and don't feel I have answer. Found 2021 archive from Juan stating it is access problem but when I go to this file in my security tab under the properties shows full control is checked for all user names shown. I have also tried to open PI run as administrator with same results.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-15 193309.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-15 193309.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 27
I have loaded Core ver 1.8.9-2 (x64) build 1601. When starting first time after it says I have 15 updates. I click to load updates then close PI and ask it to restart. I get the following error message
Win32 error (5): Access is denied.
: C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/Pleiades/core-001-pxi.settings

Spent time off and on trying to sort this out for a few days now. I have searched the forum and google and don't feel I have answer. Found 2021 archive from Juan stating it is access problem but when I go to this file in my security tab under the properties shows full control is checked for all user names shown. I have also tried to open PI run as administrator with same results.
That's a rather odd security report you're seeing. The second entry is a registry hive name, but it normally should not be reported that way, but with your username (in the form 'username (computername\username)'. It's possible that the hive shown isn't even the one associated with your user account, which could explain an access error. Something like this could happen if you tried to install PI as a different user or as Administrator.

If you're comfortable with Registry Editor, you can drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and open the folder with the same name as your second entry above, and see what value 'ProfileImagePath' has. It should be set to your user folder. Anything else and it means something is either wrong with your Windows installation or your PI installation. (And is your username actually 'user'?)

Last edited:
That's a rather odd security report you're seeing. The second entry is a registry hive name, but it normally should not be reported that way, but with your username (in the form 'username (computername\username)'. It's possible that the hive shown isn't even the one associated with your user account, which could explain an access error. Something like this could happen if you tried to install PI as a different user or as Administrator.

If you're comfortable with Registry Editor, you can drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and open the folder with the same name as your second entry above, and see what value 'ProfileImagePath' has. It should be set to your user folder. Anything else and it means something is either wrong with your Windows installation or your PI installation. (And is your username actually 'user'?)
Thank you. I am not real knowledgeable of Windows so won't be doing as suggest myself...have a friend who is much more knowledgeable will see if I can recruit. BTW I did a (painful) but complete wipe and reinstall of Windows 11 on my PC. It solved the download problem, but at great inconvenience. And the strange entry is still present on my machine and I can not personalize my desktop for some strange reason - which was true before the re install of Win 11. Saw a MS post saying to leave this strange user entry alone. Meanwhile I am trying to reconstruct all my 3rd party programs and get back to operation.

Thank you. I am not real knowledgeable of Windows so won't be doing as suggest myself...have a friend who is much more knowledgeable will see if I can recruit. BTW I did a (painful) but complete wipe and reinstall of Windows 11 on my PC. It solved the download problem, but at great inconvenience. And the strange entry is still present on my machine and I can not personalize my desktop for some strange reason - which was true before the re install of Win 11. Saw a MS post saying to leave this strange user entry alone. Meanwhile I am trying to reconstruct all my 3rd party programs and get back to operation.
I'd say you have a broken Windows install, and it may lead to more problems in the future.

Back