TIF import fails

balt

Hi all,

I'm trying to open a TIF file (tried both a regular TIF and TIFF-16), both times with the same error:

TIFF Error:
<my filename>
SubjectDistance: Rational with zero denominator (num = 4294967295)

The offending image (one of them, all TIF's I tried result in the same) can be downloaded here:

http://xplanet-sydney.inside.net/Botanical_Garden_May_2011_0029.tif.zip

Bug, or unsupported file format, or both? It would be great if this could be made to work!

Cheers

- Balt

I can confirm this problem. I'll try to release a new version of the TIFF format support module ASAP.

It is actually a bug (in LIBTIFF) since the use of a rational tag with zero denominator is documented and legal in this case.

Thank you for the test image, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Hey Juan, since you are going to hack the TIF library, could you do something to load the images taken by MetaFluor, microscopy? They have non standard header entries, that makes the loading fail. I guess that an "ignore policy" could be the trick, instead of exiting with error.
I think that I already sent to you one of those frames in the past... if not, let me know ;)

;) Thanks

Hi Juan,

thanks for looking into this. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Cheers

- Balt

Hi Balt,

This bug is now fixed. Later I'll publish an updated TIFF module that works in a more permissive mode by default. Your image loads without problems --nice trees by the way :)

Carlos, that TIFF file is not valid. There's no way to load it, even by hacking libtiff. Sorry!

Juan,
The issue is that are other software that do open it without problems. KolourPaint, showFoto and GIMP, for example. I'm almost sure that is something wrong with the header information, but those programs manage to ignore that, and open the matrix data anyway.

Hi Juan,

excellent, thanks! Updated and it works with all my 'blad TIF's, including the 16bit ones. Awesome!

You may want to advertise pixinsight as "not just for astronomical use"... ;-)

Cheers

- Balt

Back