Starnet2 questions

jnatale

I just uploaded the starnet2 plug in to PI and have a few questions. First, when I open starnet2, all I get is a small box with 4 options: stride, star mask, 2x upsample and linear. Is that normal, or is there a bigger menu I need to access somewhere? And, do I simply create a star mask, then process the stars and image separately, then recombine them using pixel math? Last, how do I delete a star? I can see that it is easy to dim stars using the curves transfer function before recombining them, but I didn't see a way to delete them. Thanks in advance.

i think that's all the options that starnet2 has. there's no way to delete single stars - starnet2 runs on the whole image and gives you what it thinks is the starless image.

as for processing, there are probably a bunch of tutorials on youtube, but the gist of it is to process both images to a nonlinear state and then use the pixelmath expression ~(~stars*~starless) to combine them. this is the same as a screen blend.

rob

Starnet (2 or otherwise) is just an algorithm for "removing" stars (i.e. guessing which pixels in the image represent stars, and guessing the pixel values that would be there if there wasn't a star there). It is entirely up to you what you do with the resulting "starless" image, and how (if at all) you "recombine" with the residual "stars" image. Starnet (and similar AI star removal software) don't actually know about "stars", so the idea of functions specific to a single "star" simply don't mean anything (to the app).

Back