Script to align, integrate and calibrate

mmirot said:
It would be nice to continue working on a script thank automates this work flow. I still use MaxIM DL since it is easier than going through all the steps manually.
Max

And to Harry as well,
This is one of the scripts I was thinking of giving a go, though I don't really know exactly what I'm in for yet, it seems that someone will likely beat me to it... ;D

Jim

I'm attempting to draw the conversation from the 1.6.1 release on this subject back to a thread that is on-topic.

Harry page said:
Nikolay

I am up for the monster and can do draught beer if its required  ;D
Regards harry

I started drafting a text file of the "process" so I could get my hands around what might be needed in a script when I realized this could really be a "monster"...and now my confidence is rattled.

I think I'm going to create a block-diagram to streamline what I was thinking.  It seems like it's roughly in alignment with comments from the other thread, but I have to admit this looks a bit daunting to get started on.  I was planning on mainly calling functions from the other already existing scripts/processes (wanting to keep them separate so they could be updated without impact to the "easy button" script).

Getting time is going to be my challenge (family vacation's starting this week, and it sounds like NKV may already be on it?).  I'd use this as a learning exercise anyway...

Jim

Attachments

• IRAI_Flow_Reqs_100622.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 55
One thing that's very nice in Maxim is the way it remembers where all your calibration masters are, unless you decide to override.  Likewise does a great job of recognising all the filters, producing individual masters should you want to save them. 

I guess the reality is that it is likely to be a monster to cater for all the different ways people like to work - bit like Nikolay's comment about not being so sure why we want to "build DSS inside PI".....

Just note: PixInside on 99% ready to align, integrate and calibrate via one click. ;)
to get 100% we need push Juan to add options "save to file" in ImageIntegration module.

Also if we not like to use ProcessContainer and want to write own dialog, we must ask Juan to add possibility open external module like subprocess dialog.

Hi

As said , a small amount of work from Mr Juan and this would be sorted ,  So how about it master  ;D

Harry

I wish I knew JScript

Hi Max,

I said that as well - about a year ago. Then I realised that I 'did' know JScript - because it is - more or less - 'English'

OK, so I had to learn a whole load of fancy steps, and Juan (and others) were willing to help there. But, by looking through other people's efforts (thanks to the fact that we ARE so willing to 'share' our code) I was able to put together my first PJSR script quite quickly.

And I tried to make sure that it was as well commented as I could make it - so that 'I' would be able to understand it the next time I had to work on it, or any other PJSR script. I am sure that, given a 'requirement' and a little bit of knowledge and skill, you too would probably be able to create 'something' in PJSR - helped (as usual) by the excellent folks here on the Forum.

Go on - give it a go. You know you want to ::)

Cheers,

I'm not sure PJSR is the right tool for the job. The modal nature of the dialogs really turns me off from writing complex dialogs. Once the super-duper stacker script runs you can not use PI for anything else. If you want to examine the result you need to close the dialog so you need to have some kind of filelist save feature so you don't have to start from scratch each time. And then you have to basically copy all the parameters from the processes you use into the script. It'll be huge.

I'm sorry to be pessimistic about this, someone please explain how this realistically can be done.

Sander,  I would rather see it all as standard feature in the modules. 
Juan has not seem to be to interested in this.
For some reason Juan suggest it could done in a script. Perhaps he was just speaking from fatigue

Max

Sander, Max,

Yes - I also agree that this feature would be better served as a PCL module, not as a PJSR script. Unfortunately that would also restrict the number of people able to code the process in the first place. I am sure that there are folks like me who can work with PJSR, but who have no idea where to start in PCL.

This may well have to be something that the likes of Juan works on - with guidance from users like us. This allows the interface to 'mature' naturally. It is certainly NOT a process that needs to be rushed, after all we have been able to calibrate in PI for quite some time now (even before the advent of the ImageCalibration process) - it just takes a whole lot of 'manual effort'.

I am willing to wait several more PI 'cycles' if needs be.

Cheers,

Niall Saunders said:
'It just takes a whole lot of 'manual effort'.

That's and understatement.

Any improvement in the modules would be helpful. There is a lot of feature that I thought would be basic.
For example, just about every program I have ever used allows you to choose a set of images to automatically produce a master as part of basic cal.

Also, if the modules where able to work serially in the process container we might not be having this conversation !

Max

Hi again Max,

Just bear in mind how PixInsight is developing - the very concept of image calibration is very much an afterthought. The fact that you CAN calibrate and integrate image data in PI is testament to Juan's herculean efforts. Even with the hard manual effort currently required to achieve full calibration and integration in PI as things stand just now, I still believe that the final outcome (due to the technology 'behind the scenes') still outperforms other packages in the marketplace.

Like I said, I would happily wait another year for a full-blown calibration and integration process. At least I would know how it had developed, and would have had a say in the way I wanted to see it work.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the tiome and ability to put this together myself, I would - gladly. But I don't get to retire for a few years yet, so - unless my Lotto numbers are due for an appearance, I have to keep hammering the keyboard for 'someone else' in the meantime ::)

Cheers,

Hi,

if it would be possible to save settings for the calibration, alignment and stacking modules then the script wouldn't need to deal with those. It would simply instantiate the processes which in turn would load their default settings and receive file lists from PI. This would be doable in PJSR as this is a short lived window. It would still need the ability to save file lists and parameter settings though. Ouch.

It needs to hand off the processed image set from cal to, alignment then intergration. It should use current settings, this would include choice of reference image. It would nice to calibrated version of the reference frame.

The abilty to calibrate to flats and make masters from within the cal module would be very helpful.

Hopeful Juan is reading this.

Max

Yes - as much as I love PI, when I've got limited data that's unlikely to benefit from the extra Smarts, I give in to temptation and just throw it all into Maxim's nice Stack routine.

That's the problem most people give up on it and use something else insted.
Not as user friendly as many packages.

Max

If you're on Linux or FreeBSD your choices are limited and you'll use what you can. On Mac there's Neb2 which is a little easier to use but not that much. On windows there are plenty of options.

Back