Script to align, integrate and calibrate

I am willing to write this in PCL if I am not duplicating someone else's efforts. 

I like the ease of DSS, but I DO get better results when I go through Vicent's calibration steps. And I really enjoy working with PixInsight in general.  It appeals to my inner software developer  :p
So - here is my question:  Will I be duplicating functionality that is already going to be built in PI in the near future?  And is anyone else already doing this?

Let me know - we can agree on what the basic requirements will be, and I will start coding...

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,

I'd wait with tackling this until it's possible to bring up individual process GUIs through either PJSR or PCL. Without that you'd end up most of your time replicating GUI items from all the processes you need to integrate. That or it should be possible to save process options and restore them later. Perhaps this is possible by having the user create a process container that contains all the processes with their options. I assume it's possible to read Process container contents from PCL and PJSR. It's a bit of a cludge but could save significant development time.

Hi Dave

I don't think that this will be developed by Juan (or me) in the shot/mid term. AFAIK, we both are more of "divide and conquer" guys than "do it all".

Having said that, almost everything is currently working as separate processes. So, a script to automate everything should not be too hard to create. Of course, there is the problem of working with large arrays of data, with "unknown" format, and one wants to have everything inside the same code. So, it should be well organized. :)

On a parallel note, I'll be writing a process module that performs some of this tasks, in a much more simpler way. I have to calibrate and align microscopic image for a project I'm working on the university. I may release the code of the "preprocessing" steps, in a month or two. The workflow shares some steps, but then it diverges and needs other steps not applicable to astronomy. Anyway, if anybody wants to write something from the scratch, this may help a bit.

So maybe PCL isn't quite ready to do this in a re-usable sort of way?  I am not really familiar with PCL yet, but I guess what you are saying is, for example, I can't load the ImageIntegration module's UI portions from another module?

No, I don't think that's possible. I recently started a new thread about that.

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=2202.0

No. Processes are self contained objects. Don't communicate. The only exception right now is Process Container.

I always wanted more interaction between processes... for example, dropping a HT icon into the STF window to load the parameters, or viceversa (isn't this implemented yet, right?) :D

Back