running processes on image containers

StuartT

I've created an image container with a base folder and output folder specified, but when I drag a process to it, it just generates screen views of the processed files. It doesn't put them in the output folder I specified. What am I doing wrong?

What process are you running? If it creates new images (rather than "applying to" and modifying the container images), I don't think the images get output.

What process are you running? If it creates new images (rather than "applying to" and modifying the container images), I don't think the images get output.
I was debayering.

So if the images don't get output, why is there a box to specify the output folder in the image container?

Images do get output (or they do for me) if the process modifies the input image (rather than generating a new image). So the output can only be (in-place) modified versions of the input images.

Images do get output (or they do for me) if the process modifies the input image (rather than generating a new image). So the output can only be (in-place) modified versions of the input images.
not sure I understand you.

I created an image container, filled it with a set of images, specified an output folder (into which I assumed the processed images would be saved).

But what actually happened was that the process just opened each processed image as a view in PI.

The output folder I specified in the image container remained empty (which makes me wonder what the point of specifying it is)

It is not true that the Debayer process does not output the results to a specified output directory. Applying an ImageContainer to the lower gray bar of the Debayer process debayers the frames in the process container, opens views of the results and saves them to the specified output directory.

In order to avoid opening the views, make a process icon of the debayer process, right-click on it, click on 'Edit instance source code' and set "P.showImages = false" and click on the green checkmark icon. Now drag the blue triangle icon of the ImageContainer to the modified debayer process icon.

Bernd

It is not true that the Debayer process does not output the results to a specified output directory. Applying an ImageContainer to the lower gray bar of the Debayer process debayers the frames in the process container, opens views of the results and saves them to the specified output directory.

In order to avoid opening the views, make a process icon of the debayer process, right-click on it, click on 'Edit instance source code' and set "P.showImages = false" and click on the green checkmark icon. Now drag the blue triangle icon of the ImageContainer to the modified debayer process icon.

Bernd
ok, I tried this. Thank you.

It's no longer opening views, but neither is is saving the debayered images in the folder I specified.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 53
Hi,

You can simply set an output folder in Debayer and apply it globally (the blue circle or F6 hot key). You can watch how different execution modes work in PixInsight in this video:

You can also read the documentation of Debayer by clicking on the Browse Documentation button of the tool. This button is also explained in this video:

Best regards,
Vicent.

It's no longer opening views, but neither is is saving the debayered images in the folder I specified.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here
Neither do I. I am having no problem.

Bernd

P.S.:
Sure! You are processing frames in proprietary raw format (CR2)!

In this case you cannot use the output template "&filename;_&datetime;&extension;" because the extension is ".CR2". PixInsight cannot write files in proprietary raw format. Your output template could read: "&filename;_d.xisf". This should work flawlessly.

Last edited:
Hi,

You can simply set an output folder in Debayer and apply it globally (the blue circle or F6 hot key).

Best regards,
Vicent.
Ok, yes I see that the debayer process has its own output directory setting. And you can load the files into it directly (which is easier that using an image container). That works fine.

Thank you!

Just strange I can't get it to work with the image container (which would be useful as not all processes allow you to add a list of files and specify an output folder)

Neither do I. I am having no problem.

Bernd

P.S.:
Sure! You are processing frames in proprietary raw format (CR2)!

In this case you cannot use the output template "&filename;_&datetime;&extension;" because the extension is ".CR2". PixInsight cannot write files in proprietary raw format. Your output template could read: "&filename;_d.xisf". This should work flawlessly.
Ok, I tried that and I got a red error

<* failed *>

*** Error: No installed file format can write .xisf" files

Back