Plane/Satellite trails now appearing

scotty38

Hi all,

I realise I can tweak settings to get rid of trails etc but my question is why, all of a sudden, should my masters start to suffer with them? Until recently my WBPP settings seem to have dealt with them successfully but not for the last few times. I took some of M13 a few nights ago and each of my LRGB masters had feint trails remaining.

As I mentioned I'll happily try and adjust my settings but nothing has changed in my WBPP configuration so just curious why they're suddenly appearing.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.....

Hello @scotty38

How many frames did you stack for each channel?
In my experience the default WBPP rejection settings deals very well with satellite trails if you have enough frames. The only situation where I had to change the settings was with geosynchronous satellites (and this cannot be the case for M13).

The problem here is not that it is difficult to think of a possible explanation - it is that there are lots of possible explanations.
The possibilities depend on what you normal WBPP settings are. If you have been relying on simple pixel rejection to kill satellite trails, then it may simply be that brighter satellites (or longer exposures) spread the satellite image to adjacent pixels, leaving a faint ghost when the brighter pixels are rejected. This can often be fixed by selecting "Large-scale pixel rejection" - "High" in the integration options.
1715340864561.png

Hello @scotty38

How many frames did you stack for each channel?
In my experience the default WBPP rejection settings deals very well with satellite trails if you have enough frames. The only situation where I had to change the settings was with geosynchronous satellites (and this cannot be the case for M13).
Hi Nico, I'd have to go back and check but I think I'm ok with numbers, maybe 40-50 for RGB and more for L but I will take that into consideration thanks.

The problem here is not that it is difficult to think of a possible explanation - it is that there are lots of possible explanations.
The possibilities depend on what you normal WBPP settings are. If you have been relying on simple pixel rejection to kill satellite trails, then it may simply be that brighter satellites (or longer exposures) spread the satellite image to adjacent pixels, leaving a faint ghost when the brighter pixels are rejected. This can often be fixed by selecting "Large-scale pixel rejection" - "High" in the integration options.
View attachment 23073
Thanks Fred, I did not have High (or low for that matter) selected so I'll give that a go. Now you mention it I had been thinking the trails looked brighter when I started the capturing each time but didn't really give it any thought.

@fredvanner I tried this but it's not made any difference. As an aside I was using Auto as the rejection algorithm but anyhow I'll keep playing and see if I can get anywhere.

Ok I went with RCR specifically and changed the RCR limit to 0.9 and that has certainly removed 99% of the trails. I am not sure if making the value 0.9 is a good move but I'll keep tinkering :)

Back