PixInsight 1.7 ? Codename "Starbuck"

I don't have a problem downloading it, but why isn't available via the repository?
Or maybe it will be available later?

Hi Rogelio,

The new version is almost completely different from 1.6.9 -just a few files remain the same as in the previous version, so an automatic update wouldn't make too much sense. On the other hand, it fixes some bugs in the update system that would prevent correct installation of PI 1.7 from PI 1.6.9.

The creation date of the binary (after de-archiving) is: Dec 3, 2010.

That's true :) That's the date when I created the application bundle (which is just a directory with a special structure on Mac OS X). I've reused the same bundle to build the final release on Mac OS X.

By the way, 1.7 fixes *lots* of bugs in both Mac versions. The 64-bit version is now much better and has a lot less of GUI glitches. Let me know how do you like it.

Hi.

Just download new 64bit windows 1.7 , install it and got:
Registering target image 56 of 56
Loading target file:
C:/MO/RAW/2011.05/tulip/HA/32bit/tulip-011-HA-15m.fit-R.fits
*** PixInsight API Error: CreateImage(): Low-level API function error
API error code = 1:
Unknown error

(try to starregister some files).
drop down to 1.6.9? :)

P.S. Maybe wrong topic...?

Hi,

This is a bug that I am fixing right now. Please refer to this thread.

Workaround: Please use the 32-bit Windows version to calibrate, register and integrate your images while I publish an update to the 64-bit version. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions can be installed on the same machine without problems.

Couple of notes/wishes, if you will:
1) if "codename" has been introduced for some reason then... why it's not mentioned on the initial "load screen" that simply says "Pixinsight Core 1.7"? "StarBuck" should be there, shouldn't it?
2) structure of "scripts" menu has been changed... Is it possible to have <All Scripts> item in a way we have <All Processes> for processes? Sometimes it's faster to look through long list with all entries instead of jumping through several branches in the menu tree.

Thanks a lot!

PS: GPU support... will it be in the list of main features planned for 1.8 general release?
Or could we expect it earlier? Thanks  O0

I realize this was a huge undertaking but what happened to the help files or rather the associated screens with information about the tool? Version 1.69 had some but version 1.70 has none, nada. For those who have been whining about help files, this doesn't help. It's the single biggest complaint I hear from people who won't even download the trail unless they have a manual or help files regardless of what other resources they have available. Ray Gralak's comment to the announced new version was:

"RE: [SBIG] OT: Announcement - PixInsight 1.7 released

Is there FULL documentation included? :)

-Ray Gralak
Author of Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)
Author of PEMPro: http://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: http://www.gralak.com/apdriver
Author of PulseGuide: http://www.pulseguide.com
Author of Sigma: http://www.gralak.com/sigma"

sreilly said:
I realize this was a huge undertaking but what happened to the help files or rather the associated screens with information about the tool? Version 1.69 had some but version 1.70 has none, nada.

True. While one always has to filter out "for fun" remarks from what are genuine comments and concerns, the help from the tools that was already done and present in 1.6.x is gone in 1.7. And that I wouldn't label it as an improvement.

Again, leaving aside disgruntling remarks regarding the documentation, at this point in the maturity of the project, at least newly developed tools should be released along with their corresponding documentation. I'm not going to take a shortcut here - Juan, you have gotten used to put formal organized documentation as a VERY LOW priority thing, and as much as this is your baby and you take it to wherever you want following whatever your own thinking decides to take it, I think it's about time (it was a while ago) you make a habit to at the very least, slow down in the release of a new version that comes with new tools, until their, at least basic documentation is released along with those new tools. You're already spending the time creating the text in the rather descriptive tooltips, and sometimes that and just a bit more is all it takes to at least get the doc page of a given tool started.

Let me say this... I much rather have the projects functionality live and working than if you had spent the time writing full docs for the whole application. Most people here probably feel the same. But I at least wouldn't have minded a bit of a wait if that's what it took to bring this application to the level of excellence that anyone would expect from a mature software like PixInsight. It seems as if it was really fun to develop a template/formatting framework for documentation, but then actually adding content to it was, well, boring and uninteresting... Thing is, even the most hardcore PixInsight's users will devour your documentation once it's written. Don't think it'd be useless or pointless. Nobody's asking for a quick fix to "learn PixInsight" here. At least I'm not and I believe I'm not alone.

I'll say it as I see it: you're very inconsistent with the release of organized documentation within the software. I suggest you either step up and get it done, or don't do it at all, and be clear about that, but this "bits and pieces" approach to me reflects poorly in the overall impression of what today is the best astroimage processing application on the galaxy by far, regardless of whether one must have that to become fluent in using the software or not.

Since you like programming so much, you could start by writing an internal tool to extract tooltip text and generate raw documents explaining the parameters that can then be fed to the documentation repository or something, as a starting point.  That's not probably what I'd do, but hey, whatever works.

And you know I tell you all this because "I love you man"...  8) (no, not THAT way)

As for the disgruntled comments, they'll continue to happen with or without documentation. That is not why the documentation should exists.

There it goes...

sreilly said:
I realize this was a huge undertaking but what happened to the help files or rather the associated screens with information about the tool?

Hi,

Just update the platform.

Vicent.

vicent_peris said:
sreilly said:
I realize this was a huge undertaking but what happened to the help files or rather the associated screens with information about the tool?
Just update the platform.

It wasn't happening yesterday when I tried it.  It did now, thanks for adding the fix to the repository.

Hi,

I just wanted to do the update.
However, all I get is a notice :
http://update.pixinsight.com/: Parsing repository update information: Invalid platform 'version' attribute value: 1.7.0:1.7.9 (line=16,column=58)

Actually I don't know where the problem might come from

Regards
Chris

RBA said:
Again, leaving aside disgruntling remarks regarding the documentation, at this point in the maturity of the project, at least newly developed tools should be released along with their corresponding documentation.

Bla bla bla... ni pu?etero caso...
Que jodido es a veces tratar con gente inteligente....

:sad:

Smoothed up translation: Blah blah all falling on deaf ears. Dealing with brilliant minds sometimes is just not easy...

starbuck and starbuck at starbucks:
t5q7I.jpg

That's cool. I heard he wasn't so happy that a woman played his part on the restart so I'm glad to see this pic.

Back