PixInsight 1.6.9.651

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Staff
Staff member
Hi all,

While I'm writing this, PixInsight 1.6.9.651 installation packages are being uploaded for all supported platforms.

Main Bug Fixes

The new version fixes a number of bugs and problems present in the initial 1.6.9 release. The most important bugs fixed are the following:

- Fixed timeout issues with the updater application on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

- Fixed a bug where the mouse wheel parameters were incorrectly modified by the PixInsight Core application (all platforms).

- Fixed a regression in the SCNR tool where the "Preserve luminance" check box was enabled by default, causing "surprising results".

- Fixed a bug in the DSSImageDownloader script where downloading gzip-compressed FITS images led to crash on Mac OS X, due to 'limitations' (to say it euphemistically) of CFITSIO.

- Fixed a regression in the DarkStructureEnhance script where execution failed due to an incompatibility caused by changes in the Rescale process.

- Fixed a regression in the MakefileGenerator script where the FreeBSD and Linux items where swapped in the Platform combo box.

- Fixed a bug in the AssistedColorCalibration tool by Zbynek Vrastil, where instances saved to XPSM/PSM files where not restored correctly.

- Fixed a number of minor issues with workspace windows on all platforms, especially on Mac OS X. The 64-bit Mac OS X version is somewhat better although some GUI issues still persist.

New Features

In addition, build 651 introduces two important improvements:

- The PixInsight Core application is now fully position-independent on all platforms. This means that once installed, you can move PixInsight Core to a different directory on the local filesystem without problems. The application does no longer store absolute paths to module and script files within the installation directory tree, but relative paths coded in a special format. The translation from the previous format is automatic and transparent the first time build 651 is executed.

This feature is particularly important on Mac OS X, since on this operating system applications are managed as high-level objects (application bundles) that can be handled as regular files, and hence copied and moved to different locations. Now you can copy and move PixInsight application bundles anywhere throughout your filesystem without problems. To make this possible, the application bundles have been renamed on Mac OS X: now we have PixInsight32.app and PixInsight64.app, so an added benefit of this feature is that both applications can be directly copied to the standard /Applications folder (or to any other folder where the user has write access), where they can coexist side-by-side.

- The PixInsight Core application can now handle open events on Mac OS X. PixInsight registers now as an editor for all image file formats it supports with the standard set of file format modules (FITS, TIFF, JPEG, JPEG2000, DSLR raw formats, etc.), plus the file formats owned by the PixInsight paltform: XPSM, PSM (icon files) and XFPC (favorite process collections).

This is an important improvement in the way PixInsight integrates with the Mac OS X desktop. Similar integrations will be implemented for Windows and UNIX/Linux in future versions.

- Improved update repository support. PixInsight repositories can now use metadata specifications to simplify deployment of modules on multiple platforms. The XRI specification will be documented officially following this release.

Happy New Year to everybody!

Happy New Year Juan,

Looking at both the software distribution site and using "Update"  I can't see any new versions and PI reports no new updates. Installed version is 01.06.09.0644. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks,

Steve

Still 3 files uploading. I think in less than 2 hours I'll update the distribution site and send the notification emails. My Internet connection isn't the fastest one at this side of the Pecos river...  ::)

I was afraid they went into the wrong folder or something. Thanks for checking. Last night I took my first image in months and I'll be glad to try the new PI on it.

?? both pixinsight32 and 64 (osx here) are not showing any updates available, and it's been several hours since i received the email...  ???

If you go to the front page here http://pixinsight.com/  and then click on software distribution that will take you to the download page. I managed to download them at 3.30 am ish this morning. Both the 32 and 64 version running on my Mac.

Nice

Dave

Hi guys,

No, this is not an update, this is a new version that you must install! ;D

You must go to the software distribution site, log in and download the installation archive(s) for your platform(s):

http://pixinsight.com/dist/

I am sorry; I should have been more explicit in the notification email? ::)

Hi

email what email  >:D O:)

Harry

Juan Conejero said:
Hi guys,

You must go to the software distribution site, log in and download the installation archive(s) for your platform(s):

http://pixinsight.com/dist/

I am sorry; I should have been more explicit in the notification email? ::)

Juan Conejero said:

Are there special install/uninstall instructions.
I had some issues getting both the 32 and 64 bit versions installed on my Mac.
Fortunately instructions were posted explaining the need to have (very specifically named) separate folders within the (Mac) applications folder for each of the PixInsight versions.
Do I need to uninstall these?
Or may I simply download the new versions and place the new apps in the appropriate folder.

Thanks,
Don

DonTaylor said:
Juan Conejero said:

Are there special install/uninstall instructions.
I had some issues getting both the 32 and 64 bit versions installed on my Mac.
Fortunately instructions were posted explaining the need to have (very specifically named) separate folders within the (Mac) applications folder for each of the PixInsight versions.
Do I need to uninstall these?
Or may I simply download the new versions and place the new apps in the appropriate folder.

Thanks,
Don

looks to me like you just put the new versions in /Applications and you should be good to go. they seem to be named PixInsight32 and PixInsight64 now so they can live side-by-side in /Applications. actually you can put them in whatever folder you want, as it appears that juan is now not hardcoding the location of the pixinsight binary into the plist file.

having said that, once you start 1.6.9.651 you won't be able to start the old 1.6.9 anymore because of the dynamic dereferencing of the pixinsight binary location. the old version won't be able to find it's processes and scripts. you'd need to delete ~/Library/PixInsight/Pixinsight*.plist (or move it out of the way temporarily) in order to start up the old version, but of course you'll lose all your prefs. so i guess make a backup copy of PixInsight64.plist and PixInsight32.plist before you start .651 for the first time, and you can swap those plists in if you need to revert to the older version of 1.6.9.

This means that once installed, you can move PixInsight Core to a different directory on the local filesystem without problems....

PI now does work if moved into a different directory ...but does not update files.

Ciao and Happy New Year

Back