PixInsight 1.6.5 - Integration of the Reference Documentation System

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Staff
Staff member
Hi all,

The next version of PixInsight has the new reference documentation system fully integrated in the PixInsight Core application. The Process Explorer window includes now a special web browser that loads existing tool and script documents automatically. For example, the screenshot below shows the documentation for the CurvesTransformation tool.

Each time you select a tool on the left column of Process Explorer, the new Documentation Browser loads the corresponding reference document automatically. The Documentation Browser is a custom integration of the WebKit engine, so it is basically a full featured web browser. You can navigate local documents and network resources as the following screenshot demonstrates.

The Documentation Browser includes a fully functional JavaScript engine, so the reference documentation can include interactive contents such as mouseover comparisons, animations, etc. Naturally, you can use PixInsight Forum from the Documentation Browser.

Finally, the Script Editor fully supports PIDoc documents with specialized syntax highlighting, as you can see in the next screenshot.

PixInsight 1.6.5 will include more important new features, which I'll be describing during the next days, and a lot of improvements and bug fixes in the standard tools and the core application. Stay tuned.

Hi,

I have some reservations about this system but I'll wait to try it out before commenting. Needless to say I look forward to reading the docs.

Juan is working exclusively on the new updates system these days. This is a huge change, and things are quite critical, so he stopped documentation production for a while.

DB said:
Is the reference documentation enabled as a feature on 1.6.9 now?

I don't see docs for any process, not even the ones supposedly already available, but who's to tell I'm not doing something wrong.

Regardless, IMHO, rather than just having the documentation appearing automatically from the process explorer (or manually once you "open" the browser window that goes with it), I think it'd be a good idea to also have one new small icon in the process dialogs that'd bring out the docs for that process. Kind of like a "Help" button.  I bet many people don't use the process explorer and use instead the Process menu anyway. Sorry if the "help button" concept sounds boring, but usability-wise IT WORKS - plus I think "on demand" documentation right off the process window makes a lot of sense.

My 0.02?  ;)

I see the feature but I am getting "Tool documentation not available" for all the tools, even those like curves and histogram that I know there is content already done for.

What gives?

......think it'd be a good idea to also have one new small icon in the process dialogs that'd bring out the docs for that process. Kind of like a "Help" button.

I agree. The present way could remain but a separate window would also be nice, even if all it did was to open one's default internet browser and go to the appropriate content.

RBA said:
I don't see docs for any process, not even the ones supposedly already available, but who's to tell I'm not doing something wrong.

Well, there you go... You need to use the new update system, download the only update available (docs!), restart PixInsight, and docs for a handful of processes suddenly become available: HistogramTransformation, CurvesTransformation, etc.

In my case I had to bring out the browser window (the doubled-arrow icon at the bottom-right of the Process Explorer window). Docs didn't just pop unless I did that manually, which I think it's a good thing, though I still favor the "help button" thingy on each process window...

RBA said:
Well, there you go... You need to use the new update system, download the only update available (docs!), restart PixInsight, and docs for a handful of processes suddenly become available: HistogramTransformation, CurvesTransformation, etc.

In my case I had to bring out the browser window (the doubled-arrow icon at the bottom-right of the Process Explorer window). Docs didn't just pop unless I did that manually, which I think it's a good thing, though I still favor the "help button" thingy on each process window...

OK, I see now and it works. Still not too many of the processes that have actual content, however.

Any idea when the content will be more or less complete? Having done tutorials for other purposes I know that is tedious, but it is probably as important or more so than new features.

I just installed the new update (01.06.09.0644- 64 bit version) but I don't see the automatic "Documentation Browser". I also don't see any way to manually obtain documentation. What am I doing wrong?

Gary Bennett

Hi

First off you will have to download the docs with the updates section under resources , then restart PI  8)

then when you have the process explorer open you will a double arrow at the bottom next to the heart this will open the viewer  ;D

well hidden I admit  ::)

Regards Harry

Ok, I found the Documentation Browser was brought up by clicking the double right arrow in the lower right corner of the Process Explorer, as Rogelio indicated.  I was hoping to study the documentation for some processes I've not used yet (specifically, Deconvolution) but there are only the 4 or so processes with documentation that have already been posted available.
 The installation also made all the icons disappear from my desktop, but (minor point) a right click on the desktop with "show icons" selected, restored them to the desktop.  (Not sure why/how that got turned off by the PI 1.6.09 installation.)
 Looks good although I'm disappointed about not getting any new documentation with it but guess more patience is required.
Clear skies (in short supply recently),
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I understand your disappointment, but please understand also that I do what I can. PixInsight is a very complex and large project. PI 1.6.9 provides the infrastructure that is absolutely necessary for the whole PixInsight project to continue evolving. This includes the documentation and many exciting new features and tools that are to come in the short-medium term.

Now that we have an efficient software updates system, you'll see new documentation appearing as updates regularly on your desktop.

Thank you for your patience and your support.

bendun said:
I just installed the new update (01.06.09.0644- 64 bit version) but I don't see the automatic "Documentation Browser". I also don't see any way to manually obtain documentation. What am I doing wrong?

Gary Bennett

Read reply #12 above.

Juan-
I understand what a complex and superb project PixInsight represents and the work that must go into each new release.  I can wait until there is time to complete the documentation modules.
Thanks,
-Jeff

Back