Odd OS X active window behavior

j.w.white

I'm not exactly sure when I first noticed this (I had put it down to the early nature of the 64 bit version), but in both the 64 and 32 bit OS X versions, when you first open PixInsight, open an image, and then Duplicate it - the active window is behind the now inactive original image.  This occurs for every subsequent Duplicate.  Sometimes opening another image into PixInsight solves this, sometimes not (the image opened will fall in behind of the inactive windows).  When it does solve it, Duplicating images behaves normally for the remainder of the time that PixInsight is running.

John

Hi John,

I am aware of this problem. I am working to fix this bug in version 1.7, which we'll release in about a week.

The same window stacking problem happens when you drag images from Finder to PI's workspace, or when PI is launched by double-clicking on an image file. This is a Mac-specific issue in version 1.6.9.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for reporting.

Thanks Juan - it's not much of an inconvenience (when I can remember to exert a little bit of work space discipline!).  John

Hi Juan,

just wanted to let you know that the active window bug is still around in the latest OS X versions of 1.7 (32 and 64).  Not a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know.

John

Hi John,

This is really strange. I have fixed this bug in PI 1.7; it should never happen again:

http://pixinsight.org/videos/forum/PixInsight-1.7-duplicate-image.mov

I have also fixed a similar bug when you drop images from Finder to PI's workspace:

http://pixinsight.org/videos/forum/PixInsight-1.7-drop-images.mov

The order of image windows should always be correct with the Mac OS X versions (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions) of PixInsight 1.7.

So if you still are seeing these bugs, then we have a serious problem because there are supposedly fixed bugs that still persist. Anything special in your machine or operating system? My OS X version is 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2008 edition, and I can't reproduce these problems anymore with PI 1.7.

Hi Juan,

Nothing strange (with the machine  ;D) - OS X 10.6.7 on a MBP, using PI 1.7 build 697.  The strange part is in how this reveals itself.  If I open an image file by double clicking on the desktop, or by using the menu options Open or Open a Copy, it works correctly.  If I use the menu option Open Recent-Image Files (which I tend to do a lot), this is where the issue pops up (I discovered this by running through various ways of opening the image).  Also, if I use Open Recent-Image Files, make the first clone (which opens behind the original window), but then close the original window - all is well, it functions normally.

I've attached a short movie clip that demonstrates the issue.  Let me know if there is anything else you want me to try.

John

Attachments

• PI 1.7 windows.m4v
    310 KB · Views: 54
Hi John,

Thanks a lot for the video. I can confirm this bug and will fix it quickly. It only happens with the File > Open Recent > Image Files menu option, on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions for Mac OS X.

Sorry for the glitch!

Hi Juan,

I am also seeing strange window behaviour in PI 1.7 (Build 697 for Mac OSX 10.6.7 64 bit) when restoring a saved project. Some of the restored image windows are stuck behind the topmost window, and can't be brought to the foreground. Not sure if this is the same problem, and will be fixed in Build 698, but I thought I'd report it. More details are available if needed.

Thanks,

Sean

Back