New script: ColorMask

By the way Adam Block jsut posted a video about our upgrade of ColorMask script.
Thank you, Adam!

BTW, @ngc1535 I 've noticed that you posted on your site mod 4 version without probe size option to average hue readings. Not critical option at all, just to note.

I have corrected some of the mistakes I made in my first YouTube video...
PLEASE LINK TO THE NEW ONE
and I am now up-to-date on the download. You need to make a repository... or convince Juan to include it in the next release.

-adam

Very pleased with this (to me) new script. Certainly hope it does get a repository so I won't have to chase after it with every PI update.

Boris and I would love to see this modified version of Rick's excellent ColorMask script incorporated in a future release of PixInsight (@Juan Conejero ). Until that happens, however, we are pleased to offer a download repository at the following address:

Add this URL to your repository list in Resources>Updates>Manage Repositories. Then run Resources>Updates>Check for Updates, the new ColorMask script should be found and downloaded. Finally you will need to restart PixInsight to complete the installation. The new script will appear under Script>Utilities as ColorMask_mod.

We hope this will be helpful
CS, Mike

Last edited:
I lost hours to create color masks with other methods because I forgot I’ve installed ColorMask_mod last time I used PixInsigh more than a month ago 🙄. I’ll try to get a better image version with ColorMask_mod soon.
Do you think it is possible in a future update to get an optional realtime mask preview like on "Selective Color Correction" script?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-24 alle 09.25.43.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-24 alle 09.25.43.png
    502.5 KB · Views: 89
I lost hours to create color masks with other methods because I forgot I’ve installed ColorMask_mod last time I used PixInsigh more than a month ago 🙄. I’ll try to get a better image version with ColorMask_mod soon.
Do you think it is possible in a future update to get an optional realtime mask preview like on "Selective Color Correction" script?
Interesting idea, i will give a try to it!

@Mike1485, did you chnage the downoad location? I get an 404 error when trying to access above web page on your site.

EDIT: ignore above, it must have been a temporary glitch. It's working now.

/Ralf

Hi,

The weirdest thing happens... I installed the ColorMask_Mod5 script through the repo. The list of installed updates does show the script as being installed:
1701201044126.png

but the script does NOT show up in scripts->utilities (or anywhere else for that matter). Only the original (unmodded) ColorMask is shown :(

1701201167370.png

this version:
1701201280874.png

Running the update now command does not find any updates..

Anybody know how to fix this ?
Thanks,

Paul

Hi,

The weirdest thing happens... I installed the ColorMask_Mod5 script through the repo. The list of installed updates does show the script as being installed:
View attachment 21046

but the script does NOT show up in scripts->utilities (or anywhere else for that matter). Only the original (unmodded) ColorMask is shown :(

View attachment 21047

this version:
View attachment 21048

Running the update now command does not find any updates..

Anybody know how to fix this ?
Thanks,

Paul
You can try to install manually via Feature Scripts. If that doesn't find the script, you could try resetting everything using Resources>Updates>Reset Updates, restart PI and then use Check for Updates to reinstall everything.

You can try to install manually via Feature Scripts. If that doesn't find the script, you could try resetting everything using Resources>Updates>Reset Updates, restart PI and then use Check for Updates to reinstall everything.
I did a Reset Updates, and it fixed the problem.
The old ColorMask script disappeared, but I take it that is normal ?

1701203007226.png

The original (unmodded) script still exists on disk though (in C:\Program Files\PixInsight\src\scripts):

1701203084054.png

Thanks for helping (y);)

Regards,
Paul

That is odd. The _mod version should co-exist alongside the original. However, I can't see why you would want to use the original if you have the _mod version installed so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

So ... it has been a little while in the making but I have just released a process version of this script. This now means you can obtain readout information by clicking directly on your image. It also allows you to link into the standard PixInsight realtime preview functionality.

I have created full written documentation to accompany the process which is accessible via the usual documentation button on the process interface.

The process is available for PixInsight 1.8.9-2 build 1604 and later. If you are unable to run this then, sorry, but the ColorMask_mod script will remain available for download from the same repository as before so you can still use that.

Although I have developed this process version, it derives from the excellent work of others most especially:
  • Rick Stevenson who created the original script;
  • Boris Emchenko who made a number of helpful modifications to Rick's script; and
  • Adam Block who also provided helpful input.
The repository address is https://www.cosmicphotons.com/pi-modules/colourmask/ (Note the British spelling of "colour"!). Please copy this to your repository list and run "Check for Updates". After installation the process can be found under Process>MaskGeneration.

I hope you will find this useful.
CS, Mike

(More PI scripts and modules can be found at my website)

So ... it has been a little while in the making but I have just released a process version of this script. This now means you can obtain readout information by clicking directly on your image. It also allows you to link into the standard PixInsight realtime preview functionality.

I have created full written documentation to accompany the process which is accessible via the usual documentation button on the process interface.

The process is available for PixInsight 1.8.9-2 build 1604 and later. If you are unable to run this then, sorry, but the ColorMask_mod script will remain available for download from the same repository as before so you can still use that.

Although I have developed this process version, it derives from the excellent work of others most especially:
  • Rick Stevenson who created the original script;
  • Boris Emchenko who made a number of helpful modifications to Rick's script; and
  • Adam Block who also provided helpful input.
The repository address is https://www.cosmicphotons.com/pi-modules/colourmask/ (Note the British spelling of "colour"!). Please copy this to your repository list and run "Check for Updates". After installation the process can be found under Process>MaskGeneration.

I hope you will find this useful.
CS, Mike

(More PI scripts and modules can be found at my website)
Thank you very much for your work, Mike! Great improvement over the script in terms of convenience!
Glad to participate (not so much although) in this work!

Mike, thank you very much for your work in converting it to a Process. Just tried it out and I absolutely love it. Your colorMask_mod script was excellent and making it a process (right where I expected it under Mask Generation) goes above and beyond!

Hi Mike,
I managed to download and install the process using the regular steps.
However, I can't seem to find the process in the list of processes.
See screenshots below.
Running version 1.8.9-2 build 1604 on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1.
Any idea of what I should try?
Thanks in advance,
KR, Rodolphe

Installed updates:
1713367464126.png

Process>MaskGeneration submenu:
1713367534804.png

Back