Multi-Touch Issues on MacBook Pro Trackpad

MountainAir

Trying to use PixInsight on a modern MacBook Pro with the large multi-touch trackpad is highly frustrating. Unlike every other app I have ever used on these machines, PixInsight doesn't seem to support palm rejection and other advanced multi-touch gestures. The result is I am constantly zooming in and out on my images, even when I consciously try to keep my palm off the trackpad. This happens many times a minute, every minute that I am editing. I normally get around it by doing my editing on the iMac, but when I'm on the road and in inconvenient work quarters where a mouse isn't practical, I just hate the user experience.

Is there a way to turn on/enable better trackpad input management in PixInsight? I have never had any similar issues in any other app.

I also use MacBook Pro laptops regularly and have never had those issues with Apple trackpads. I suppose this depends on how one uses his/her hands on the machine. Anyway:
  • From the main menu: Edit > Global Preferences
  • On the Preferences window, select the Miscellaneous Image Window Settings section on the left side.
  • Uncheck Touch events
  • Click Apply Global, or press F6 to execute.
This will disable touch events. You can still use your track pad as a mouse and use it combined with keyboard combinations to activate working modes such as Pan, Zoom In, Zoom Out, etc. For example:
  • Press Space Bar to activate the Pan mode, then click and drag anywhere on the image to pan.
  • Press Option + Space Bar to activate the Zoom In mode, then click to zoom in, or click and drag to define a zoom region.

Thank you for your response, Juan. I did try disabling touch events last year, and again this year. It does improve the situation, but as I switch between my many open applications it is somewhat irritating that the trackpad behaves differently and that coordinating keystrokes are required. I still think here is something going on with your implementation of touch events/palm rejection on these over-sized Apple trackpads. When I take my images into Pixelmator or Lightroom or Photoshop I don't seem to have these difficulties. You're right, it has everything to do with how my hand interacts with the trackpad (the situation was much better on an older laptop with a 1/3-size trackpad), but somehow these other applications have found a way to work around it. I don't think I'm any less adept at trackpad usage than the normal Joe.

This may be a larger problem than you are aware of. I never heard anyone else complain about it, but when I asked three of my astro buddies earlier the weekend they all told me they use mice because the trackpad is so irritating. Unfortunately I'm often working only laptop in a cramped car under dark desert skies, so using a mouse isn't terribly practical.

I am having same issue as MountainAir, only since purchasing an M1 MacBook Pro. Running Monterey 12.5.1, and Pixinsight 1.8.9-1 Ripley 64 bit. I have no trackpad issues with any other program, but, agree, that having to constantly resize my image screen in PixInsight is very annoying. For now, I'm going to purchase a separate mouse...but, for me, that is a less than satisfactory solution. I have to believe that there is a compatibility issue between either the M1 architecture (vs Intel) or Monterey OS. Thanks very much for looking into this, Juan. Still love PI.

Add: I disabled the "touch events" box in Preferences, per your recommendation to MountainAir, and that has cured the resizing issue when using the trackpad on the new M1 MacBook Pro. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back