MBM 25 galactic cirrus in Lynx

Ginge

Hi all!

In 2021 I thought I'd venture off the beaten track and started collecting exposures on a rarely imaged object from the Magnani, Blitz and Mundy catalogue. MBM 25 is very faint for my conditions but after almost 33 hours I figured I had enough. At that moment my old QSI 583wsg decided to start malfunctioning so getting good calibration frames ended up being almost impossible. I decided to abandon the project altogether until I tried the fabulous RC Astro tools and figured there might be a way still to salvage the data andput something together that will hopefully be a worthy end to the whole sordid story with the dying camera.

There is not much information on the MBM 25 online apart from some scientific papers giving data on visual extinction, infrared emission and such. Couldn't find distance, size or aparent magnitude on these particular HLCs (High Latitude Cloouds). In general though this passage from a piece in The Astronomical Journal from 1998 sums it up quite interestingly:

"Molecular cirrus clouds are astrophysically interesting because their proximity allows us to observe the basic physical processes of molecular clouds on small spatial scales, and their low optical depth and lack of star formation eliminate effects that complicate the study of larger molecular clouds. Detailed studies reveal that molecular cirrus contain density structures on a wide variety of scales (Pound, Bania, & Wilson 1990; Joncas, Boulanger, & Dewdney 1992) and exhibit cloud-to-cloud differences in both their molecular chemistry (Turner, Rickard, & Yu 1989; Turner, Xu, & Rickard 1992; Turner 1993) and their abundance of very small grains and/or large aromatic molecules (Verter, Magnani, & Dwek 1988; Boulanger et al. 1990). Molecular cirrus are not gravitationally bound but have internal cloud pressures that are comparable to the turbulent pressure of the interstellar medium (Blitz 1991). Some of the molecular cirrus appear to have beenswept up by expanding shells, while other clouds apparently condensed in situ (Burrows et al. 1993; Gir, Blitz, & Magnani 1994)."

Larger version can be found here: https://astrob.in/nrlzc3/0/

Clear skies!

Ginge

Optics: Epsilon 180ed 8" f/2.8
Camera: QSI 583wsg
Mount: 10Micron
Exposure: L=134x600s, R=21x600s, G=21x600s, B=21x600s +Darks, Flats
Total integration time: 33hrs 50min
Filter: Astrodon LRGB Series E Gen II
Captured with The Sky X,
Processed in Pixinsight
Shot from Bjarkebu Observatory near Ytre Enebakk/Norway on several dates between the 2nd and the 13th of February 2021.

Last edited:
Back