Issue with installing latest version of Pixinsight

I think you may be having problems with the Windows default setting to hide certain folders, including AppData (so you can't see them in File Explorer). You can switch this of in the File Explorer "view" settings:
1715195550817.png

Fred,
I always have show hidden files set. Back to the beginning, I can't install the new version, that is what is giving me the error. I can't uninstall, it gives me the same error. That also applies to the previous version.

Bob
1715205842750.png

Fred,
I always have show hidden files set. Back to the beginning, I can't install the new version, that is what is giving me the error. I can't uninstall, it gives me the same error. That also applies to the previous version.

Bob
View attachment 23066
This suggests something is wrong with your Windows installation. You're not running any third-party antivirus software, are you? If so, delete it (or at least turn it off). Make sure you're download isn't corrupted; you can compare the download to the posted checksum for the file.

Check the Event Viewer in Windows about the error message.
I suspect there are corrupt entries in the registry which prevents the deintstallation.

Cheers
Tom

HOW???? How do I compare the checksum (this error happens for the latest and previous downloads). What am I looking for in event viewer? Where would I look in the registry? I am not running any third-party anti-virus software. I am ready to go into the windows folders and deleting files...

Bob

Don't, after that you probably can't uninstall anymore at all or cause new problems.
Type in search Event Viewer and it shows up.
Same for Registry: just type regedit and click F3 and search for Pixinsight.
Did you install Pixinsight in C:\Program Files\Pixinsight?

Cheers
Tom

I agree with @tom886: if you start deleting stuff before you work out what the problem is, the problem is likely to get worse, not better.
Perhaps a good start would be to find out (roughly) what your current installation is (the one you can't uninstall).
As @tom886 asked, did you install in the standard location (C:\Program Files\Pixinsight). If so, could you post a screenshot of the \bin subfolder; we can then check the version and file sizes for correctness. If we can confirm the current installed version the next step would be to download (or otherwise get hold of) the installer for that version, and re-run it. This may let you repair your current version.

Hi,
I fixed my problem. I went back to the first 1.8.9-2 version (PI-windows-x64-1.8.9-2-20230828-c) I had in my download folder. The install window looks significantly different that the current build. I was able to run the install and test the program. I then just installed subsequent versions (1+1605) over that. I lost only one process, the GHS, which I quickly reinstalled. Thinking back, I have no clue what happened. It all started when I wanted to load Seti Astro's "statistical stretch". It did not load and I was instructed to update to the latest version of Pixinsight. It went downhill from there.
Thanks for your efforts,
Bob

Last edited:
Back