Image Solver Script Failures

Starcruiser

First of all the images I have tested this image and it solves easily in ASTAP. For what ever reason the ImageSolver script is not passing over the image coordinates listed in the image parameters pulldown. Plate solves fail as the coordinates are always zeros. What could be blocking this? I entered RA: 21 2 30 and Dec 45 8 54. APASS GAIA databases are configured. Process ends in failure. The coordinates are also in the .FITS header of the image as well. My PI is current.

Processing script file: D:/ImageProcessing/PixInsight/src/scripts/AdP/ImageSolver.js

* Code signature verified:

script-id : ImageSolver

developer-id : PTeam

timestamp : 2022-08-11T11:19:02.522Z

Seed parameters for plate solving:

Center coordinates: RA = 00 00 00.000, Dec = +00 00 00.00

Resolution: 2.461 as/px

Starting StarAlignment iteration

Gaia: Global context

Executing Gaia DR3 search command...

11748 sources found.

861.588 ms

Catalog Gaia DR3 (XPSD): 11748 objects.

* Using the triangle similarity star matching algorithm.

StarAlignment: Processing view: NGC7000_QHY294M_10C_Panel1_Ha_180_00_1600_50__0000_c_cc_r

*** Error: Unable to find an initial set of putative star pair matches.

<* failed *>

*** Error: The image could not be aligned with the reference star field.

*** Error: Unable to plate solve image: Alignment failed.

** Warning: Process finished with errors:

NGC7000_QHY294M-10C_Panel1_Ha_180.00_1600_50__0000_c_cc_r.xisf: The image could not be plate solved

Could you post a screenshot of your ImageSolver setup?

Hi Fred, thanks for taking a look, hope I am sending the right item.

1665091821453.png

Last edited:
Do you get the same result if you select the image as the active window (rather than using the "list of files" option)?

Doesn't make sense that the coordinates do not get forwarded over to the server.
I have the database files installed on a SSD. APAAS and Gaia installed the datbases, the process console seems to indicate they are being called but the coordinates do not get sent and remain at zero, which I would think is the cause of the failed solve. Basically becomes a blind solve.

Do you get the same result if you select the image as the active window (rather than using the "list of files" option)?

Hi Fred,

I just ran Image Solver with an "Active" window again and now that is working, albeit very slow because of a high star count which I should be able to readjust in the script. So possibly this is a fix for now and I will just avoid solving the files.

Thanks,
Bill

I have had Plate Solving fail in WBPP as well. In my case the RA that the Plate Solver had was
exactly 1 hr in RA out. No idea how this came about, but correcting the RA solved the problem.
No pun intended.

Bob Parry
Chilliwack Observatory

Perhaps related: I am trying Image Solver for the first time (to create a Mosaic). I am careful to be sure my entries are correct but I consistently get the error: "*** Error: Position.Position(): invalid argument type: numeric value expected."
That then followed by "***Error: Unable to plate solver image: Alignment failed."

Perhaps related: I am trying Image Solver for the first time (to create a Mosaic). I am careful to be sure my entries are correct but I consistently get the error: "*** Error: Position.Position(): invalid argument type: numeric value expected."
That then followed by "***Error: Unable to plate solver image: Alignment failed."
Did this issue get resolved? I'm currently being challenged by a dataset in which I can load a single image into PI and solve it but when its in a list ImageSolver cannot solve any file in the list.

Did this issue get resolved? I'm currently being challenged by a dataset in which I can load a single image into PI and solve it but when its in a list ImageSolver cannot solve any file in the list.

There is a fundamental difference between using the "Active Window" or the "List of files" for the ImageSolver script. In the first case ImageSolver will use the "Image Parameters" settings to try to solve the image while in the second case it will just ignore those parameters (because they might be different for each files).
So if you use the "List of files" functionality the position and scale informations must be present in the in the headers of each files. Is this the case?

Last edited:
There is a fundamental difference between using the "Active Window" or the "List of files" for the ImageSolver script. In the first case ImageSolver will use the "Image Parameters" settings to try to solve the image while in the second case it will just ignore those parameters (because they might be different for each files).
So if you use the "List of files" functionality the position and scale informations must be present in the in the headers of each files. Is this the case?
Thanks for the response. No it is not. This is because this is a set of images taken for iTelescope subscription users and in an attempt to protect privacy of the user who created the images they stripped the headers. I'm pretty new at this. Is there a way to easily paste this info into the headers? I tried copying an instance of the display header screen but it also overwrote the filter info. So that didn't work.

I'm away from my computer but I believe there are something like 50 images. Could one use an image container somehow and apply the needed data?

Why do you want to solve 50 images? I would usually integrate 50 images then solve once. The solution will be more accurate for the integrated image. There are occasions for solving larger numbers of images, but it's worth thinking carfully if yours is one of these (e.g. solving separate integrated segments of a mosaic).

I guess I don't. It is a single panel no mosaic. Thanks. I was originally stumped because WBPP wasn't working and is my usual approach. What you suggest makes great sense.

Yes, absolutely no need to solve 50 images of the same target. As they have no headers, I believe WBPP will ask you about the coordinates and scale of your image.

WBPP attempts to solve the selected alignment reference image, since this solution can then be replicated for all the aligned images without a need for further solution. If automatic solution fails (e.g. because the required data is not in the header), then the user will be prompted for manual input (if "interactive in case of failure" is checked). Note that if you know this data is missing you can enter the data manually in the Image solver default parameters.

Back