IC 417 - a not so lost cause after all

Ginge

Back in 2020 I used a long awaited clear night to gather data on the Spider and the Fly nebulae. The whole thing was hampered by a too old model build on my mount and my reluctance to spend precious time building a new one, the result of course being elongated stars made even worse by horrible processing intended to mask the bad tracking. Then I was told BlurX could actually fix exactly these kinds of issues, I didn't really believe it, but was absolutely ecstatic when I tried it out. Here is the result and below is the awful original based on exactly the same data.

IC417 HaLRGB CN.jpg

Higher resolution version here: https://astrob.in/gvsnf0/B/

Original version:

Optics: Epsilon 180ed 8" f/2.8
Camera: QSI 583wsg
Mount: 10Micron
Exposure: Ha=80x600s, L=25x600s, R=8x600s, G=8x600s, B=8x600s +Darks, Flats
Total integration time: 21h 30min
Filter: Astrodon HaLRGB Gen II
Captured with The Sky X,
Processed in Pixinsight
Shot from Bjarkebu Observatory near Ytre Enebakk/Norway on several dates from January through March 2020.

Thank you very much Scott! I was partly happy with the original when I first posted it, but regretted it immediately after, hehe. It just got too messy. In trying to conceal my oblong stars I ended up dulling them down to a point where they just looked bloated, even the smaller ones. The end result just looked clotted to me. The new version is probably overdone in the other direction though. That's what often happens when you get a new toy I guess. I also noticed after having redone the image that there's a huge debate on CN about what BXT actually does, like with all new tools. It's like a hornets nest over there. Best to lay low :).

Very nice! I love bright orange carbon star, V* S Aur (above and to the right of the image center). Thanks for posting that image.

Back