File open not working/directory problem

Hello there,

I am not sure if this is a PI problem or windows 64. For the few past days when I try to open a file using File/open or using the keyboard short cut Ctrl+O I get the fallowing error message.

1627058200860.png

File open msg1.JPG

If I go to the same folder using the windows explorer and click on the file, open correctly. If I move the Folder or file to a different location the PI File/open or keyboard short cut Ctrl+O the file open correctly. It seems like PI directory tracking is not working properly. I tried to repair, uninstalled and reinstalled PI so far.

Any subjections?

Bill

Attachments

• File open msg.JPG
    File open msg.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 43
Hi Bill,

This is not a bug in PixInsight. All Windows operating systems, including Windows 10 by default, cannot handle file paths longer than 256 or 260 characters. To remove this limitation on Windows 10 since version 1607 you must change a registry key. Details here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file#maximum-path-length-limitation

However, instead of messign with the registry (dangerous thing), I strongly suggest simplifying file and directory names. For example, I usually work with directories like:

/data/01
/data/02

and file names such as:

foo-01.xisf
foo-02.xisf

Admittedly, you can use slightly more informative file and directory names if you prefer, but you get the idea.

Hi Bill,

This is not a bug in PixInsight. All Windows operating systems, including Windows 10 by default, cannot handle file paths longer than 256 or 260 characters. To remove this limitation on Windows 10 since version 1607 you must change a registry key. Details here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file#maximum-path-length-limitation

However, instead of messign with the registry (dangerous thing), I strongly suggest simplifying file and directory names. For example, I usually work with directories like:

/data/01
/data/02

and file names such as:

foo-01.xisf
foo-02.xisf

Admittedly, you can use slightly more informative file and directory names if you prefer, but you get the idea.

Hi Juan,

Thank you for the quick replay and clarification. I get the idea, I'll work something out and leave the registry editing option to the very last if I can't make it work to my like, but I know enough about computers to know editing registry can create more problems if it is not done correctly. Simplifying the file and directories is easier and safer.

Cheers,

Bill

Back