Dell XPS Laptop with 4K Display - Issues?

LX200

So, can PixInsight deal with 4K displays?  Or do you end up with microscopic fonts??  Any other issues ??

ALso, which helps PixInsight performance more...adding an SSD drive, or going from 8gig to 16gig memory?

On many computers a 4K display isn't a problem but Dell is a whole other beast. Just search from the main forum page for dell and follow some of the threads. Maybe someone with a Dell can talk to this.

As far as ram or SSD the answer is yes. They both will make a difference that can be seen. My real recommendation would be do both. It will be worth it for everything you do on a computer. The ram will make anything dealing with the OS side of the program run better and the SSD will help the PI side swapping out temp files which it does a lot with some of the more complex processes. The SSD helps also if you have a large history while processing and you are jumping round within the history.

Mike

PixInsight 1.8.4 fully supports high-density displays, including Apple Retina, 4K, 5K and 8K displays, on all supported platforms.

As for Dell computers, there is a problem with Dell's utility software on Windows. See this thread for more information. Basically, if you really insist in using Windows, my strong recommendation is to reinstall a clean copy of the operating system without any utility software from Dell.

As for SSD / more RAM, I have little to add to what Mike has already said: use both.

Oh... I take from your comment (maybe mistakenly) that Windows is not looked upon as the best way to go with PixInsight.... What is the preferred OS, if there is one... Linux?  Mac OS?

I did see the thread on the Dell Support software... it looked to me like that issue could be resolved by removing the Utility software, is that not the case?  Is complete OS reinstall the way to go.

BTW, I must say... I develop and support software in the engineering industry.  I have seen some of the most sophisticated programs written on the Windows Platform (like Aspen Plus process simulator).  I must say that PixInsight is one of the most amazing pieces of software I have ever seen.  Makes the software I write look pathetic....  :sad:

Guys my display died and I decided to get a 4K display as my Dell M5510 will support it (at work).  I went down to Fry's and saw 4K displays were really running near $1000... so I went down to the 4k TVs....

I purchased a 43" LG 43UH6030 for $329.00 and my M5510 drives the display!  i have no issues with PI and in fact the images look spectacular. 

I did spend some quality time with Dell and the main issues have been arranging the windows settings to handle the icon size and pixel density.  Key is custom scaling.  I am using HDMI and not DP. 

Attachments

• LG Monitor.jpg
    LG Monitor.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 40
Back