Cannot load Process Icons in startup.scp anymore in PI 1.8.9

Yo. I don't like clicking things I don't have to click. Especially when it's a repeated operation. All of that stuff adds up. Just like I don't like re-entering settings for processes that, in my case, routinely use certain defaults because I image with specific telescopes and cameras. Just like a very, very large number of us. I like to use a gray background in Adobe Lightroom as a backdrop for my photo editing and it's a couple clicks to set that in preferences. That doesn't mean I want to set it every single time I launch the program.

If you've got a constructive solution that's a great reason to disagree with a basic request for smoother operation. But if you're just championing extra clicks just because you don't mind clicking on things, find a better hill to die on.
Have you used PixInsight Projects to save your work?

A great feature of PixInsight is that you can save your work as a Project. With a Project, you can keep everything (your images, masks, desktop icons, workspace structure, etc) and return and refine your work whenever you want, by double-clicking your Project file. This will of course result in a large Project file (usually several GB) but you will have all of your work in a single file (since 1.8.6 we have Bundled Projects, in older versions we have a file and a folder associated with it). If you (or someone else) have your original raw data, and the associated Project file, you (or someone else) can reproduce your work, from scratch. I am not aware of any other software which can do that.

How to create a template Project in PixInsight:

Instead of starting PI from a blank state and populate your desktop with processes and their settings by heart (as Amy does in the aforementioned video), start from one of your finished projects instead, for which you have settled your process icons and their parameters: When you are satisfied with your workflow and want to use it as a template, just close all your images and save a PI Project containing only your processing icons. Your Project file will be a few KB. Double-click it and start from there when you want to process new data using your favorite processes, and with your preferred parameters. You can have several template Project files for different equipment configurations. Or upload a Project file in this forum if you seek for help or advice.

I hope this is useful for you. I apologize if you found my tone inappropriate.

Please pay a read to the following document, where I describe the code security system that we are going to release with the upcoming version 1.8.9-1 of PixInsight:

This document is now practically finished and should give you a clear idea of the reasons why we need to make PixInsight a secure development platform.
Thanks for this. Completely understand the need for security for scripts being distributed to users, of course, and thanks for addressing it. However, editing one's own startup script (which is the topic of this thread) is not a security risk (presumably) as that is not being distributed to anyone else. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately, there is no secure way to know if a file has been altered manually by the user or automatically by a script or as part of an update. Allowing arbitrary manipulations of scripts that run automatically each time PixInsight is executed is a serious security risk, as described in the document.

Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately, there is no secure way to know if a file has been altered manually by the user or automatically by a script or as part of an update. Allowing arbitrary manipulations of scripts that run automatically each time PixInsight is executed is a serious security risk, as described in the document.
Ok. Thanks for explaining Juan. Fortunately, I have solved this another way, in any case. And I shall explore the 'projects' method described above by @dld

manipulations of scripts that run automatically each time PixInsight is executed
Juan, could you please confirm that this will not apply to local user-written scripts (that are not run automatically, but only at the user's request). I have dozens of script fragments that I have written over the last few years purely for my own use, but I have no plans to register as a certified pixel developer.

Hi Fred,

Don't worry, any existing scripts will continue working without problems. The only case where you may need to sign a script (with your local signing identity, as described in the document) is if it requires special security entitlements. For example, if you have a script that wants to modify global preferences settings, it requires the "com.pixinsight.security.pjsr.allow-write-global-settings", or if you have a script that launches a process interface, then it needs "com.pixinsight.security.pjsr.enable-launch-interface". But even in these cases, creating your local signing identity is a matter of a few clicks and is a one-time action.

Having the same problem downloading Process files to the desktop. The process consoles shows the list of process icons and does not load them.. Going to the folder for Process icons I right click and selected Properties and in that list it notes "opens with PixInsight 1.8.8.6!! Check this out in case it only occurs in my setup. Sorry, I can't offer any more insights to solve this problem because everything I tried failed to resolve the issue. Will try the Project workaround
Joel Parkes

the icons might be loading onto a different workspace or behind open windows on your current workspace. there have been no changes in loading xpsm files from the Merge Process Icons... menu option as far as i know.

Thanks for clue about workspace. I unknowingly had 4 workspaces and only one with the Process Icons; deleted the other three and am left with one with the process icons. Will try to merge any new process icons with these and see what happens.

just FYI 4 workspaces named Workspace01, Workspace02, Workspace03 and Workspace04 is the default in pixinsight.

Ok, so I'm here because I've follow the previous instructions to add the .open instruction to load my icons sets. I understand that the security has change and this is not a recommended way anymore. But my question now is, how I recover my broken PixInsight installation? How can I recover a functional startup.scp script?

Back