Build 1604 won't launch on MX Linux 23

I downloaded and installed PI-linux-x64-1.8.9-2-20240320-c.tar.xz. Everything installed without error messages. When I try to launch the program via the installed icon, nothing happens.

Here are my system configuration details:
Operating System: MX Linux 23
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.103.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.1.0-17-amd64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 24 × AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
Memory: 61.9 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NV166
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Name: B650 AORUS ELITE AX

Any thoughts on next steps? Thanks in advance.

You are likely to receive an error because you are missing a required file. Take a look at this thread for guidance:

The best way to find out what the error is is to start PI from a console with the command:

/opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight.sh

When you start the command, it will tell you what the error is and what could be the missing file you are omitting. I hope it helps you.

Edited because the translator messed me up again.

Last edited:
Es probable que recibas un error porque te falta un archivo necesario. Echa un vistazo a este hilo para obtener orientación:

La mejor manera de averiguar cuál es el error es iniciar PI desde una consola con el comando:

/opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight.sh

Cuando inicie el comando, le dirá cuál es el error y cuál podría ser el archivo faltante que omite. Espero que te ayude.
root@mx-tatooine:~# /opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight.sh
/opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.5: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory

Yes missing file is the culprit. I presume libtiff.so.5 needs to be in the /opt/PixInsight/bin/lib folder.

Thanks for the 1605 build update - it resolved the libtiff.so.5 error. However on Mx Linux 23 the file issue has changed as follows:

$ /opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight.sh
/opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory

I have taken that on board. We'll include more shared objects in bin/lib in future versions, but for now, you'll have to copy or link them manually if using an unsupported Linux distribution.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere on your system you must have a libjpeg.so.8 file. It will certainly be repeated in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. So it's a matter of finding out where one of them is and copying it into the /opt/Pixinsight/bin folder. That will probably solve the problem.

What I don't know is exactly how to do the search on your desktop which if I'm not mistaken runs on XFCE. In my case with Gnome I just type the name of the file to search in an explorer window to start the search. In other cases you have to look for some option in the explorer menus to do it. Remember that you have to do it starting in the system root / not in your personal folder as it will probably not be found there.

Once the location is found, just copy it as administrator in a terminal window to the pixinsight folder /opt/PixInsight/bin and after that you should be able to start PI if no more errors appear.

I don't know if you are familiar with the use of the terminal but sometimes it is a good idea to use it to solve small problems like this that are no more than a nuisance if you know how to use it. That said, as we are moving system files as administrator we must be careful with the names we type and understand what we are doing or we could be left with a non-booting system which is not in our interest.

I hope this is useful, although I think it has been a bit long. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that somewhere on your system you must have a libjpeg.so.8 file. It will certainly be repeated in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. So it's a matter of finding out where one of them is and copying it into the /opt/Pixinsight/bin folder. That will probably solve the problem.

What I don't know is exactly how to do the search on your desktop which if I'm not mistaken runs on XFCE. In my case with Gnome I just type the name of the file to search in an explorer window to start the search. In other cases you have to look for some option in the explorer menus to do it. Remember that you have to do it starting in the system root / not in your personal folder as it will probably not be found there.

Once the location is found, just copy it as administrator in a terminal window to the pixinsight folder /opt/PixInsight/bin and after that you should be able to start PI if no more errors appear.

I don't know if you are familiar with the use of the terminal but sometimes it is a good idea to use it to solve small problems like this that are no more than a nuisance if you know how to use it. That said, as we are moving system files as administrator we must be careful with the names we type and understand what we are doing or we could be left with a non-booting system which is not in our interest.

I hope this is useful, although I think it has been a bit long. :rolleyes:
I am a Linux novice as you correctly guessed, so your note wasn't long, it was helpful. I'll see what I can do to get this corrected and post back. Thanks again.

BTW I am using KDE Plasma on my installation.

OK just to complete this thread maybe for others who run into this problem, I used the following to install the libjpeg.so.8 file. PI build 1605 now is functioning.

Code:
sudo apt update   
wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/libj/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-turbo8_2.1.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb 
sudo apt install ./libjpeg-turbo8_2.1.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Back