Basic CCD Parameters Documentation

RichInLesta

I've been looking high and low for documentation for the Basic CCD Parameters script, but have so far come up empty. Could someone point me to where it may be located?

thanks.

This script was written in 2009 by Georg Viehoever, and is virtually untouched since then.
It has no documentation other than the tooltip you get when you hover over the title box of the dialogue.
The cited reference:
The Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing, by Richard Berry and James Burnell, Second Printing, Errata for chapter
"8.2 Basic CCD Testing". See: http://www.willbell.com/aip4win/Errata to 2nd Printing 2nd Edition of HAIP.pdf
is no longer available at that URL.
However, the following reference in the script "#feature-info" section does exist (though it may have changed significantly over the years) and may be of some help:

Thank you. That would explain why I've been having such a difficult time finding it.

Just as background (no reply necessary): I've been trying to understand the "swamp read noise value by 20x" accepted target as it applies to my specific setup. One of the better discussions on this (over on Cloudy Nights) included taking some measurements using Bias, Flat and Dark frames with the CCD Parameters script. The author was using subs from the exact same camera I have (ASI1600 cooled mono) but the results I was getting were radically different than his results. Specifically, the camera manufacturer quotes the read noise of this camera at 1.2e and the authors' results showed 1.338e. By comparison, the frames I used and parameters I set result in 0.219...significantly different. So my assumption was that the frames I used were not created correctly or I wasn't using the script properly. I have always followed well-accepted processes for collecting Bias, Flat and Dark frames so I was confused by that.

Anyway, I was looking for original documentation on the CCD Parameters script so I can see what PI's expectations were for collecting those sub types.

But thanks for the reply.

Back