Annotate Double Stars ?

Quasarius

Hello,

ist there a way to annotate double stars (from Washington Double Star Catalog (WDS) ) ?
With script AnnotateImage or TypeCat ?

CS
Thomas

You can create your own annotation files with data downloaded from an on-line catalogue search. If you are familiar with a spreadsheet like Excel it is a fairly straightforward process. You can then use your file in AnnotateImage.
The current WDS has 156557 records, so this will be a very large text annotation file; it might slow AnnotateImage down a bit.

Thank you Fred, yes you could do it that way. But in the meantime I have found a better solution for me. CdC can display the WDS catalog, including all members of multiple systems, also taking into account the Proper Motion. I then load my images as background and immediately see the catalog names of all members.

It's a long tiome since I made a new catalogue file for CdC, but the procedure is almost exactly the same. So I guess you have found a version of the WDS catalogue already in CdC format. Out of interest, where did you find it?
I note that the WDS catalogue is regularly updated (often several updates per year), so you may want to check how old your version is.

I have just released an update with version 2.2.13 of the AnnotateImage script. In this version I have added support for the WDS catalog:

Washington Visual Double Star Catalog (Mason+ 2001-2020), with 156,557 objects. VizieR catalog: B/wds.

The AnnotateImage implementation provides access to the following database fields: name, coordinates, components, position angle, separation, magnitude 1, magnitude 2, and spectral type. All of these fields can be selected for annotation.

I have just released an update with version 2.2.13 of the AnnotateImage script. In this version I have added support for the WDS catalog:

Washington Visual Double Star Catalog (Mason+ 2001-2020), with 156,557 objects. VizieR catalog: B/wds.

The AnnotateImage implementation provides access to the following database fields: name, coordinates, components, position angle, separation, magnitude 1, magnitude 2, and spectral type. All of these fields can be selected for annotation.
Thanks. Minor nit. I've been running 1604 because 1605 provided only a couple of minor bug fixes that didn't affect me, and since it's a little bit of effort to do an upgrade what with the manual workarounds for my filter file and the CUDA stuff, I figured I'd just wait for the next build. 1604 happily sucked up the Annotation update, but when I tried to run it, it failed because I didn't have 1605. So I updated... not a real big deal, but not exactly how I planned to spend 15 minutes this morning. Would have been a little more user friendly if the updater had informed me that 1605 was a requirement before it updated and overwrote the working Annotation script.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Yes, I labeled the update as available for 1604 and 1605 by mistake. I can release a new update with this labeling fixed, but then all 1605 users would have to receive it duplicated and reinstall. A bit of a mess and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Yes, I labeled the update as available for 1604 and 1605 by mistake. I can release a new update with this labeling fixed, but then all 1605 users would have to receive it duplicated and reinstall. A bit of a mess and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.
No, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back