Amp Glow with ASI183MM in PI Using Calibration Frames

Wouldn't it show up on both sides depending on how much I captured on each side of the meridian flip? In this case, most of my lights subs were on one side due to most of my lights being captured after the meridian flip. Also, if it is a star out of frame, wouldn't it show up in my Ha and OIII as well?
Maybe. The 10 samples you provided all have the amp glow on the right. Might be interesting to run WBPP twice, separating the lights across your flip.

It says "ImageCalibration.outputPedestal: 568". I had to rerun it again in automatic, as I deleted the file, and seems better the second time around for some strange reason. Stars don't look blurry on the right side. Maybe because I am manually using a reference frame as opposed to automatic and I just randomly picked one of the 10 lights. There is a specific reason I run that manually, though. Maybe I should run the output pedestal at Literal Value (DN) at a higher value than 200?
PixInsight's automatic output pedestal mode normally is reliable. An output pedestal of 568 seems pretty high to me, but I have no experience with a Sony IMX183 sensor, maybe it is common for this sensor.

I agree with Chris: the glow at the left side of the attachment in post #58 does NOT look like "amplifier glow" of a Sony IMX183 sensor at all. The amp glow shows distinct rays, but the glow on your frame is circular.

Bernd

PixInsight's automatic output pedestal mode normally is reliable. An output pedestal of 568 seems pretty high to me, but I have no experience with a Sony IMX183 sensor, maybe it is common for this sensor.

I agree with Chris: the glow at the left side of the attachment in post #58 does NOT look like "amplifier glow" of a Sony IMX183 sensor at all. The amp glow shows distinct rays, but the glow on your frame is circular.

Bernd
I have two of these cameras and have been using them for about 3 years. It's been the like that for the whole time. The fainter rays get collaborated out but often leave the brighter glow you see. It has not been a big deal to me because I typically shoot a lot of small PNs and usually just crop it out. I havent done a full frame emission nebula in some time, especially a faint one like this. It doesnt show up in the Ha and OIII with more signal, but the SII was so faint that it did. That has been my experience anyways. It's a common problem for a lot of people with the 183MM Pro. Some get lucky and don't have that problem.

I have a 183MM (not the Pro) with lots of amp glow but nothing like you effect; I also have a 183MC Pro which has much less amp glow. I agree you problem does not look like any amp glow I have seen. Could you upload a couple of subs with this effect, and a couple of darks with the same exposure.

I have a 183MM (not the Pro) with lots of amp glow but nothing like you effect; I also have a 183MC Pro which has much less amp glow. I agree you problem does not look like any amp glow I have seen. Could you upload a couple of subs with this effect, and a couple of darks with the same exposure.
I did and when someone ran it on this thread there was no amp glow. They changed around the output pedestal. I tried that too with no luck. It has an additive effect for me the more lights I capture. I do very short lights because of my bortle sky scale of 8 so the sensor histogram doesn't get overwhelmed. I capture anywhere from 30 to 120 hours of integration time on most of my objects, as I go after really faint DSOs. At 120s per light sub, you can imagine how many lights I have on my DSOs. Perhaps it is a bug with the Mac version that I use? Hard to say. Someone said it might be a star off frame, but it is not. Happens every time with any DSO. Here is that data I made available to drop box:

Here is another object I captured a couple years ago with 80 hours of integration time:

And this was the drizzled master OIII light from that. The longer the integration time, the worse it gets.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 8.21.50 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 8.21.50 PM.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 14
I did and when someone ran it on this thread there was no amp glow. They changed around the output pedestal. I tried that too with no luck. It has an additive effect for me the more lights I capture. I do very short lights because of my bortle sky scale of 8 so the sensor histogram doesn't get overwhelmed. I capture anywhere from 30 to 120 hours of integration time on most of my objects, as I go after really faint DSOs. At 120s per light sub, you can imagine how many lights I have on my DSOs.
Like Chris in posts #15 and #46 stated, I see no trace of ampglow in the integrated light frame generated by WBPP from the uploaded 10 light subframes when output pedestals are applied in automatic mode. The pedestal values were in the range of 560 - 581 DN, i.e. pretty consistent.

Deeper integrations will be exceedingly stretched by STF. If the problem only arises with a very large number of light frames, I think it is a matter of not matching calibration files, letting fixed pattern nonuniformity become obvious. I have no other idea.

One thing catched my eye, your flat frames are 9 months old, and they are captured with a different image acquisition application:

light frames: SGP, 2024-02-29, 2024-03-01
dark frames: SGP, 2024-03-24
flat frames: Nebulosity, 2023-05-23 <==

Bernd

Back