1.8.5 Installing issue

Komet

When I try to install this new version I am informed that "The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory C:\Program Files\Pixinsight\bin"

See attached image.

I am the Administrator.

Tried uninstalling the previous version with the exact same outcome.

Help?

--
Mick

Attachments

• PIs.JPG
    PIs.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 51
I'm guessing you're running Windows 10? You could try running the installer by right clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator" but that shouldn't be necessary.

Steve

I can't think of another resolution but as a reference point mine installed just fine with Win 10 Pro 64. All I needed to do was open (run) the installer and it simply installed. What I have noted a few times is I can run the program but after closing it seems I have to restart the computer to get it to run again but I haven't fooled with it much yet.

Steve

Hi Mick,

This is a folder permissions issue on Windows. Try the following:

- With Windows Explorer, right-click the directory and select Properties.

- Go to the Security tab and click Edit.

- In the Group or user names section select SYSTEM or Everyone, then click Full control in the Allow column. If you don?t have SYSTEM or Everyone available, you?ll need to add it. To do that, click the Add button.

- The Select Users or Groups window will now appear. In the Enter the object names to select field enter Everyone or SYSTEM and click the Check Names button. Click the OK button.

- The SYSTEM or Everyone group will now be added. Select it and check Full control in the Allow column.

- Click Apply and OK to save changes.

Try to install the application after making these changes. Maybe changing permissions for the bin folder is not sufficient. In such case you'll have to repeat the same procedure for its parent PixInsight folder.

Let me know if this helps.

I am running Windows 7 and just installed the new rev. It will not launch and comes up with the following error:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 08-04-17 at 08.57 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-04-17 at 08.57 AM.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 60
tloebl said:
I am running Windows 7 and just installed the new rev. It will not launch and comes up with the following error:

I have the same problem with my windows 7 machine.
Gone back to the version before which works fine.

Just to make things clear the program installs OK but when you click on the Pixinsight icon to start the program the error message appears.

John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 08-04-17 at 08.57 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-04-17 at 08.57 AM.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 51
I'm also unable to install 1.8.5.

I just bought a new Windows 10 Home system a few weeks ago, I installed the then current version of PI. This morning I received notice of 1.8.5. So I uninstalled, then attempted to install 1.8.5. After the Win 10 installation dialog appears with "Do you want the following app....etc...". I push "YES". A smaller dialog box blinks on and off (too fast to read), and that's it. Tried installing as Administrator - no luck.

George

Juan,

Sadly, I don't have V1.8.4 to go back to any more. Any chance it can be posted till this issue is addressed?

Tom

Download and run the Windows update from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49093

this copies into the directory:
c:/Windows/SysWOW64

all these missing api-ms-win-core-..... DLL's

Gerald

oldwexi said:
Download and run the Windows update from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49093

this copies into the directory:
c:/Windows/SysWOW64

all these missing api-ms-win-core-..... DLL's

Gerald

Another thanks to Gerald.
Problem cured,

John

Nothing is working for me.

Windows 10 Home - fully current with updates.

Old version installed, 1.8.5 does not.

After telling it I want to install, a small window pops up for 1/4 Second. I can see "preparing....." in it, and that's it. It does not install.

Tried running as administrator, and used the compatibility trouble shooter. Nothing works.

As to Juan's suggestion, he did not indicate what directory to modify, and this shouldn't be the issue anyway, as other programs, including the last version of P install without any problems.

George

Problem solved.

As a last ditch effort, I downloaded 1.8.5 again. Since I'm on a metered network, I hesitated to do this.

Anyway, this one did install on:

Windows 10 Home
  Version 1607
  Build 14393.1480

Thanks,
George

Back