WBPP 2.4.5 Released

for clarity, it was an update to 1.8.9 of Pixinsight I was trying to get by using Pixinsight to check for updates. Today I manually installed 1.8.9-1 of Pixinsight, after which I was able to get the WBPP update using the Pixinsight Check for updates..

Surely you (like every user of a purchased PixInsight copy) received a notification about the new version 1.8.9-1 per email. New versions always have to be downloaded and installed manually.

Bernd

Hi Bernd, thanks for letting me know. I did get the email but didn't realise that they always have to be done manually.

The new Execution Monitor is great!

I did notice that there is a "Measurement" step in there just after the calibration and cosmeticCorrection steps. I reviewed the logs and saw that this step was measuring the CosmetricCorrection images. I assume this is to find the best frame to use for the star alignment process. But, I had manually defined the star registration image within WBPP.

Is this Measurement step necessary when the star reference image is manually defined?

See the attached screenshot. In this example the measurement step only took about 3 minutes, but for a larger dataset it could be a significant amount of time.

Attachments

• PI WBPP 2.4.5 Measurement Issue.jpg
    PI WBPP 2.4.5 Measurement Issue.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 84
The new Execution Monitor is great!

I did notice that there is a "Measurement" step in there just after the calibration and cosmeticCorrection steps. I reviewed the logs and saw that this step was measuring the CosmetricCorrection images. I assume this is to find the best frame to use for the star alignment process. But, I had manually defined the star registration image within WBPP.

Is this Measurement step necessary when the star reference image is manually defined?

See the attached screenshot. In this example the measurement step only took about 3 minutes, but for a larger dataset it could be a significant amount of time.
Hi @gregwjones,

in your case Local Normalization is active, this step requires the selection of the best reference frame so the measurements are needed for this purpose :)

Hi Roberto,

I wonder, what words is the script looking for in order to detect a folder containing flat darks?

I have my images sorted into four folders "darks", "flats", "flat darks" and "lights.
When I add them via "+ Directory" all files are detected, but the flat darks are sorted into "flats" instead of "darks". What do I need to do so that they are automatically detected as darks?

Thanks
Stefan

Hi Roberto,

I wonder, what words is the script looking for in order to detect a folder containing flat darks?

I have my images sorted into four folders "darks", "flats", "flat darks" and "lights.
When I add them via "+ Directory" all files are detected, but the flat darks are sorted into "flats" instead of "darks". What do I need to do so that they are automatically detected as darks?

Thanks
Stefan
Ho @sbenz, flat darks are simply darks, put them under the darks folder ?

Ho @sbenz, flat darks are simply darks, put them under the darks folder ?

Unfortunately that didn't work, they are still detected as Flats.
The reason might be that they are marked as "Flat Frames" in the FITS header (I took them right after the Flats, using the very same setting in the capture SW).

What are the criteria that the script is looking for?
Is there an order (FITS header, file name, folder name)?
What key words is the script looking for? Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks
Stefan

Unfortunately that didn't work, they are still detected as Flats.
The reason might be that they are marked as "Flat Frames" in the FITS header (I took them right after the Flats, using the very same setting in the capture SW).

Thanks
Stefan
Ok in such case add them directly as darks using the Add Darks button on the bottom.

Ok in such case add them directly as darks using the Add Darks button on the bottom.

This works, of course.

But I am trying to find out what I need to do different in the future, so that this works automatically.
In addition, I plan to give a little course on WBPP in our local astronomy club, so I am also looking into this for educational reasons…

Therefore I am interested in the logic behind.
Could you please help me with these questions?

thanks
Stefan

Last edited:
Therefore I am interested in the logic behind.
Could you please help me with these questions?

I just posted a thread that digs into the details on how WBPP retrieves the information of an added file, please check here the following

Let me know if this answers :)

I just posted a thread that digs into the details on how WBPP retrieves the information of an added file, please check here the following

Let me know if this answers :)

this is very helpful, thank you very much.

Hi @gregwjones,

in your case Local Normalization is active, this step requires the selection of the best reference frame so the measurements are needed for this purpose :)

Yes, but the measurements are on the cosmetically corrected images and the Local Normalization process works on the registered images.

Since I manually specified the registration reference image that is a significantly cropped frame, wouldn't the measurements also be significantly different?

Yes, but the measurements are on the cosmetically corrected images and the Local Normalization process works on the registered images.

Since I manually specified the registration reference image that is a significantly cropped frame, wouldn't the measurements also be significantly different?
measurements on images that are heavily cropped can be highly unreliable because the missing cropped part could significantly affect the measure. This is a situation that should be avoided.

As an alternative, if you really want to measure the registered frames, you can proceed with WBPP up to the registration, then re-add the registered files in a new session and proceed from there with LN and II. In both cases, the measurements are non-optimal either due to the high cropping or due to the registration interpolation (if measurements are performed after the registration).

Try and see which one produces the best result since there is not a general answer on which of the two is best, it really depends on the dataset.

Last edited:
What is not working? Post your screenshots if needed!

I had posted this already in the other thread (I had thought that it matches there better), so apologies for double posting:

Thank you very much for posting this explanation.

I still struggle though, as I do not manage to have my flatdarks detected correctly.
They have the filename "FlatDark xxx.fit" inside a folder named "FlatDarks", but the FITS header contains a keyword "Flat Frame".
Therefore I selected "Smart naming override", but still all frames are sorted in as flats, not as darks.
I even renamed them into "Dark xxx.fit" and the folder into "Dark", still did not work.
What am I doing wrong?

ScreenShot.png

ScreenShot2.png

Thanks
Stefan

I had posted this already in the other thread (I had thought that it matches there better), so apologies for double posting:

Thank you very much for posting this explanation.

I still struggle though, as I do not manage to have my flatdarks detected correctly.
They have the filename "FlatDark xxx.fit" inside a folder named "FlatDarks", but the FITS header contains a keyword "Flat Frame".
Therefore I selected "Smart naming override", but still all frames are sorted in as flats, not as darks.
I even renamed them into "Dark xxx.fit" and the folder into "Dark", still did not work.
What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 15230

View attachment 15231

Thanks
Stefan
Could you share 1 of these flat dark files?

Hello friends,
I haven't used WBPP for months and never had problems but with version 2.4.5 I get the following error in the Integration phase:

* Begin integration of Light frames
Group of 12 Light frames (12 active)
SIZE : 4144x2822
BINNING : 2
Filter : SII
Exposure : 300.00s
Keywords : []
Mode : post-calibration
Color : Gray
Rejection method auto-selected: Winsorized Sigma Clipping
Operation queue error: Error: ImageIntegration.weightMode(): invalid argument type: unsigned integer value expected.
* WeightedBatchPreprocessing: 04:06.95

Any suggestion?

Attachments

• 03_Lights.jpg
    03_Lights.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 04_Calibration.jpg
    04_Calibration.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 05_Post-Calibration.jpg
    05_Post-Calibration.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 60
Hello friends,
I haven't used WBPP for months and never had problems but with version 2.4.5 I get the following error in the Integration phase:

* Begin integration of Light frames
Group of 12 Light frames (12 active)
SIZE : 4144x2822
BINNING : 2
Filter : SII
Exposure : 300.00s
Keywords : []
Mode : post-calibration
Color : Gray
Rejection method auto-selected: Winsorized Sigma Clipping
Operation queue error: Error: ImageIntegration.weightMode(): invalid argument type: unsigned integer value expected.
* WeightedBatchPreprocessing: 04:06.95

Any suggestion?
Hi,
reset the parameters once, at least the ones of Image Integration!

Back