Author Topic: Bubble Nebula Wide Field  (Read 999 times)

Offline Astrodoc

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • AstroDoc - Astrophotography by Ron Brecher
Bubble Nebula Wide Field
« on: 2017 September 05 17:57:30 »
This image shows a wide field view of the region around the Bubble Nebula in Cassiopeia. I've posted both colour and Ha-only images on my website. Click on either one of the images to open a full resolution version.

http://astrodoc.ca/bubble-wide-field/

This is a very busy patch of sky!

- The Bubble Nebula (NGC 7635) is the most famous object in the image, above and right of centre. The Bubble is surrounded by Sh2-162, a billowy, textured cloud of glowing hydrogen gas. Both are between 7,000-11,000 light years away.

- The open cluster M52 sparkles to the upper right of the Bubble, and is located 5,000 light years away.  It is one of my favourite small telescope open clusters.

- Sh2-161 is at lower right, also around 9,100 light years from us. NGC 7538 (a.k.a. Sh2-158) is the bright patch along the bottom edge of Sh2-161.

- The large Sh2-157, the Lobster Nebula, is left of centre. Just beneath the lobster's "claw" is open cluster NGC 7510.

- Almost dead centre in this image is Herbig-Haro 170 (also known as MWC1080). It is the small orangish patch of nebula and surrounds a very young star.

- Sh2-159 is a small patch of nebula lying below the Bubble in this image.

Clear skies,
Ron
Clear skies,
Ron