not a bug Missing library after updating to latest update on Fedora 39

It is a dedicated Mini-PC. A Chuwi with I5 and 16 GB RAM bought on Amazon for about 300 € a year and a half ago. For my IMX533 data it is doing acceptably well with a native Ubuntu installation on a separate SSD disk from the main one that still contains windows. A BX processing on my 3008x3008 images takes about 2 minutes without acceleration as the board has no dedicated graphics. It's fine for me. With fast integration even the stacking is fast enough for my tolerances.

To whom it may concern:

Running PI on Fedora 39 and encountered also some shared libraries issues.
Once I added the symbolic links to the missing libraries PI started ok.
However I also did have an issue with the update of the packages (error message: exit code 127 - command not found)

I suspected it was the unzip command.
In /opt/Pixinsight/bin there is an unzip command, and running it gave:

./unzip
./unzip: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I solved it as follows:
as root:

cd /opt/PixInsight/bin
mv ./unzip ./unzip.pi
ln -s $(which unzip) unzip

(your millage may vary, regarding the PI installation directory)

Not sure if this is the best solution, but I try to be pragmatic (read: lazy) ;)

Michael... Have you tried looking for the missing PI file on your system and copying an instance of it to /opt/PixInsight/bin and see if that solves the problem?

I'm telling you because in the previous version I had the same errors with libtiff and libunistring and just copying a copy solved the issue. I don't think you need a virtual machine with Kubuntu to solve something like that.

This kind of situation is quite typical of the idiosyncrasies of Linux. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass but on the other hand there are so many advantages that it's worth it. In my humble system, with an inexpensive mini PC, PI runs very well under Ubuntu while under Windows its performance is greatly reduced.

Regards.
I tried to find the missing library versions using the locate command, but the latest version asks for some old versions of libraries that don't exist on my system.

--Michael

Running PI on Fedora 39 and encountered also some shared libraries issues.
Once I added the symbolic links to the missing libraries PI started ok.
However I also did have an issue with the update of the packages (error message: exit code 127 - command not found)

I also faced these problems in Fedora 39 (missing libjbig and missing libbzip2). The later one can be fixed similarly doing:
Bash:
ln -s /usr/lib64/libbz2.so.1 /opt/PixInsight/bin/libbz2.so.1.0
(of course, package bzip2-libs must be installed).

I tried to find the missing library versions using the locate command, but the latest version asks for some old versions of libraries that don't exist on my system.
If you are referring to the required libjbig.so.0, it can be installed in Fedora using this commands:

Bash:
dnf copr enable aflyhorse/libjpeg
dnf install jbigkit-libs
ln -s /usr/lib64//usr/lib64/libjbig.so.2.1 /opt/PixInsight/bin/libjbig.so.0

Hi, I had library issues as well after the latest PI upgrade. The previous version ran perfectly, I downloaded the new version, ran the installer and all hell broke loose.
It is quite obvious that some changes were done regarding the libraries (running locate on the missing libraries has shown they where there in the previous version but missing in the new one) and PI is not usable on Fedora/Linux any more. I did the symlink suggestion above and the app started but we shouldn't need to do this and spend hours digging up for hacks and workarounds.
Perhaps Pleiades should look into packaging PI into a flatpak or something to avoid issues like these.
Cheers!

Hi, I had library issues as well after the latest PI upgrade. The previous version ran perfectly, I downloaded the new version, ran the installer and all hell broke loose.
It is quite obvious that some changes were done regarding the libraries (running locate on the missing libraries has shown they where there in the previous version but missing in the new one) and PI is not usable on Fedora/Linux any more. I did the symlink suggestion above and the app started but we shouldn't need to do this and spend hours digging up for hacks and workarounds.
Perhaps Pleiades should look into packaging PI into a flatpak or something to avoid issues like these.
Cheers!

I also had an issue with libjbig.so.0 on Arch.
I had to create a symlink to get it fixed:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libjbig.so /usr/lib/libjbig.so.0

I've tried the recommended workarounds without success. After creating several symlinks (unzip, libjbig, libjpeg) , I was stopped dead by
Code:
/opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight: /opt/PixInsight/bin/libjpeg.so.8: version `LIBJPEG_8.0' not found (required by /opt/PixInsight/bin/lib/libtiff.so.5)

Clearly I'm not the only one having this issue. I hope a new version can be provided.

--Michael

I am having the same issue with a new Fedora KDE 40 installation:
Code:
/opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight: error while loading shared libraries: libjbig.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I try to locate this library, I have other versions:
Code:
~/Downloads/PI-linux-x64-1.8.9-2-20240323-c$ locate libjbig.so
/usr/lib/libjbig.so.2.1
/usr/lib64/libjbig.so.2.1
It is working fine on my laptop (installed on Fedora 39 KDE, but still working after upgrade to 40 KDE).

If I link the 2.1 version to .0 in the PI folder, I get a new error:
Code:
/opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object 
file: No such file or directory

FYI: I have just released version 1.8.9-2 build 1605, where I have included libtiff.so.5 and libunistring.so.2 in the installation bin/lib directory. Hopefully this will ease installation on those modern Linux distros that you are using. Let me know if you encounter other missing libraries.
I know that I may be a bit late to report this.
I just had the time to upgrade to 1605 (actually the Annotate script demands 1605).
Now I'm getting :

error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8
which apparently is required from the included libtiff.so.5

Debian 12.5 with backports

My workaround is to

cd /opt/PixInsight/bin/lib
mv libtiff.so* /opt/PixInsight/ORG/

ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.6 libtiff.so.5

Juan please include libjpeg also next verison ?

Last edited:
Back