ImageSolver solution fails with Gaia DR3 and DR2

JanS

Hi,

I see a rather puzzling issue with ImageSolver.

Problem:
ImageSolver v6.2.3 fails to converge on a solution for images from my ZWO ASI294MC Pro with a Pentax 400mm SMC Takumar lens. This is puzzling since it has been OK with earlier versions and it fails when using the local Gaia DR3 or online DR2 catalog. Strangely enough it is still OK when using the online PPMXL catalog.

Also, it still works with my QSI583 narrow field setup, regardless of catalog, so it do not seem to be a local setup issue.

I have tried to tweak projection, sensitivity and bright threshold parameters but to no avail. I have also verified the image center coordinates and they seem to be basically spot on.

A test image and PixInsight process traces for failed (Gaia DR3) and successful (PPMXL) runs are available via the link below.

Summary:
PixInsight: v1.8.9.2, build 1604
ImageSolver: v6.2.3, default parameters

Catalog runs:
Local Gaia DR3 -> FAIL
Online PPMXL -> SUCCESS
Online Gaia DR2 - > FAIL

Test Image:
Camera: ZWO ASI294MC Pro
Lens: Pentax 400mm SMC Takumar

FoV: 2d 45' x 1d 52'
Image Center: 21h 27' 59" , +58d 41' 19" (verified OK)

Link to documents:

Best Regards,

Jan

The uploaded image solves for me first time with local Gaia DR3 database, using only header metadata.

Again big thanks for testing! I reinstalled DR3 and downloaded all the files again. And now it works! Probably a corrupted file somewhere. I checked the checksums this time...

Back