Image with severe gradient

gianpri

HI,
I have a MasterLight with serious gradient problems. I used the new GC process but with disappointing results. From the comparison with DBE the difference is evident. In GC I tried to vary the parameters (with/without: automatic convergence, simplified model, structure protection) but without success.
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong!
I attach the link to the MasterLight.

Attachments

• GC_DBE.jpg
    GC_DBE.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 71
HI,
I have a MasterLight with serious gradient problems. I used the new GC process but with disappointing results. From the comparison with DBE the difference is evident. In GC I tried to vary the parameters (with/without: automatic convergence, simplified model, structure protection) but without success.
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong!
I attach the link to the MasterLight.
Hello @gianpri

Your googledrive link is not public

I agree it is a difficult image.
The best I got is with the following setting (note that I disabled both "Simplified Model" and "Structure Protection" because I couldn't get them to work well)
Capture d'écran 2024-03-28 123354.jpg

With these settings I think the background is ok but the nebulae is clearly over corrected.
I'm curious to see what others can get.

Last edited:
Hi,

This is indeed a very difficult case for GradientCorrection. You need very exotic parameter values to get a reasonable result. For this image, MARS works very well. I'm attaching the image corrected with MARS user-contributed data.

Please be patient, we are working hard to get MARS publicly available as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Vicent.

Attachments

• MARS-1024.jpg
    MARS-1024.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 67
Looking at your screenshot, I wonder if the "GC" image has not had the STF re-applied after GC (so is being displayed with the pre-GC calculated STF), which does not give a "like for like" compare with the DBE image. With these settings:
1711630424946.png

I get:
1711630293544.jpeg

which compares reasonably well with DBE.
The combination of a strong left-to-right gradient (looks like moonglow) with a separate near-radial gradient in the bottom left hand corner (looks like LP), certainly makes this a difficult one to fix.
BTW, I ran SPCC first (to make sure the colour balance was roughly right). The WB plots suggest that this image may have been captured with a dual band filter, which will limit the colour calibration.

Last edited:
Thanks Nico for trying.
Thanks Vincent, excellent result. We await the release of MARS with interest.
Fred, I only applied STF after GC, as I did with DBE.
You're right: the strong gradient is due to the presence of the full moon and the IL of my site on the outskirts of Milan Italy. The shot is with L-eNhance filter.
Thanks for the tips with GC.
John

Back