Help with Repository and updates.xri

paulyman

G’day everyone,

I have created a fairly rough and ready script that automates the creation of Foraxx Palette narrowband images from nonlinear starless images and their corresponding nonlinear star images. The script is working fine locally on my system and I can install via feature scripts on my laptop no worries. I’ve setup a sandbox repository on my website with the zipped script and an updates.xri file pointing to the zip file as described here: https://pixinsight.com/doc/docs/PIRepositoryReference/PIRepositoryReference.html. I added the sandbox repository to PI on my main computer and my laptop and checked for updates, PI found the script and updated it.

Now is the issue, I have clearly missed something. I made some changes to the script and created a new zip file, appending the date (eg Foraxx_20230212.zip). I added that to my website. I then edited the updates.xri file adjusting the file name, sha1 hash and the release date to match the new zip file. But I can’t get my main computer or the laptop to recognise there is a new update in my repository. There isn’t any error produced at least, so there is something. But as I said I am clearly missing something required to get PI to recognise the update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul Hancock

Hi Paul,

We need to take a look at your updates.xri document to know what happens. Can you upload it (or send us privately if you don't want to share it publicly)?

BTW, I've just realized that the document describing our update repositories is seriously outdated. The information given is valid, but there are now much more features that are not documented. I'm sorry; I'll try to rewrite this document with up-to-date information ASAP.

Thanks Juan,

I've attached the updates.xri file. I'm 99.9% sure I've done something stupid somewhere in there. I've attached it as a .txt file so it will upload here, the file itself on my website is a .xri.

Attachments

• updates.xri.txt
    894 bytes · Views: 193
Hi Paul,

The problem is in the range of PixInsight versions specified by the version attribute of your platform element:

<platform os="all" arch="noarch" version="1.8.9:1.8.9">

This addresses exclusively version 1.8.9. Change it to:

<platform os="all" arch="noarch" version="1.8.9:1.8.9-1">

and it will be visible to version 1.8.9-1. Let me know if it works.

Okay,

Initial Success, but still having issues.

I made the change to the platform tag as described by Juan. That worked for my .updates.xri above.

I then made some changes to the script, saved it, zipped it and appended the date, ie. ForaxxPalette_202301131000.zip
2. Uploaded the zip file to the correct repository folder.
3. Adjusted the updates.xri (with the correct version setup) so that the filename matches, the SHA1 matches and the release date matches.

Code:
<platform os="all" arch="noarch" version="1.8.9:1.8.9-1">
      <package fileName="ForaxxPalette_202301131000.zip"
               sha1="6f8a32b606ba13b2b9f08bb30f2e28adc6160ed4"
               type="script"
               releaseDate="202301131000">

4. I didn't change the package title or description.

PI doesn't recognise there are updates.

Hi Paul - I am struggling to see why this is failing! Have you by any chance already installed this version on your computer but not via the repository and therefore PI is not seeing any difference? Have you tried just making another small change to the script - just enough to generate a new sha-1 and also a new file name - and see if it still fails to update?

Hi Mike,

I now believe it is a problem with my web host, I thought I fixed it again. So I provided the repository link via my YouTube channel. Everyone is getting a 404 error. I’ll have to see what they (my webhost) are doing, perhaps they think it is malicious code?

Changed the repository to a different website I host on the same webhost server, same 404 errors for everyone. I'm guessing it is the web host but I can't confirm yet. Bit of a downer releasing a script no one can access. Oh well, I've made the script available via Google Drive so they can manually install it if they'd like. for now.

Last edited:
Another update. The repositories are working for me today, both my testing repository and the main one. its slow, i had updated the scripts about 5am here and nothing happened this morning even up until about 9am. We took the kids out to the zoo today and when we got home about 5pm i could see updates available. So that is progress. Hopefully I can get some minor updates to run smoothly for me and then can just attribute it to a slow very shared server at my web host?

BTW, I've just realized that the document describing our update repositories is seriously outdated. The information given is valid, but there are now much more features that are not documented. I'm sorry; I'll try to rewrite this document with up-to-date information ASAP.
Hi Juan,

Is this still on the "To Do" pile or is there a link to an updated document somewhere please?

Thanks, Mike

Back