Author Topic: NGC6946+6939  (Read 1004 times)

Offline drmikevt

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
NGC6946+6939
« on: 2016 July 04 21:16:18 »
This is only my second image ever taken through all the steps of acquisition and processing.  I just started with AP earlier this year and committed myself to learning PI from the start.  A LOT of my education has come from the Light Vortex Astronomy tutorials, but the IP4AP site has been great as well.  There are certainly many issues with the image, but overall I'm pretty happy with it for my second image.  Please help me improve by telling me what you see that needs improvement.   

Scope: ES 102mm Triplet
Mount: CGEM DX
Camera: SX-814
Filters: Astrodon E series Gen 2 LRGB
Guiding: Lodestar OAG
Image scale: 1.34 arcsec/pixel
Exposures: 160x60s L, 42x60s R,G,B

http://www.astrobin.com/254220/

Offline Kinch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: NGC6946+6939
« Reply #1 on: 2016 July 07 06:22:33 »
I have been at this hobby for over 3 years now and still consider myself a beginner of sorts. As such I will just mention what I would like to change if this was my image. Everybody processes differently and what one dislikes, another may like - but for me here, the stars take over the image too much. I would like to see the stars reduced quite a bit - it would help bring more attention to what really matters in the shot; the galaxy & the cluster. I really am not too sure - but perhaps it is the focus that is the cause of the big stars here. Are you getting the focus spot on? How are you determining that?

Offline drmikevt

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016 July 07 07:01:30 »
Yes, I agree focus could/should be better.  Currently I'm just using a Bhatinov mask and really need to move to an autofocus method.  Part of the issue here is that I am trying to stay purely Mac and autofocus is a bit hard to come by.  I also need to continue to improve tracking and polar alignment, which probably was not the best for this shot.  Also - this was captured during an almost full moon.  All of these probably contributed to the star bloat.  And - there is significant coma in the corners - also need to work on that. 

Despite all of that, I look at the image and am so pleased that I was able to produce it.  I'm sure I'll look at it in disgust in a couple years, but for now, it represents the culmination of about a year of hard work and learning. 

Anyway - thanks for the comment.

Online pfile

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016 July 07 08:52:24 »
the mac thing is hard; INDI is starting to become a reasonable solution but only for certain cameras/mounts. my understanding is that bisque's TheSkyX runs on OSX and works (including @focus), the only problem being that there's no automation.

rob