Author Topic: Another Banding Question  (Read 1354 times)

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Another Banding Question
« on: 2016 January 06 09:32:59 »
Hello Everyone

I in the image process and noticed a band show up (Image Number 1) below so have tried to correct with The Canon Banding Script (Latest Version PixInsight). The banding appears after DBE so I am attempting to correct the banding before DBE. Thed results I get in the banding script are in image #2 (using default settings).

So what is going on? Please someone make a suggestions. Weather snowy so only can play with processing for a while. PLEASE HELP

Steve Herrman

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
Re: Another Banding Question
« Reply #1 on: 2016 January 06 09:47:06 »
Steve

You might want to look at your master flat to see if the band shows up there. Are you using an EL panel or laptop/monitor screen for your flats?

Mike

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016 January 06 10:01:45 »
Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. Checked master Flat and no banding is apparent whatsoever. I am taking T-shirt flats during daylight hours.

Tried with minimal settings  ie amount .10 an default protect highlights and it does go away  and othet artifacts are not eveident. IS THAT THE CORRECT WAY TO GO?

Steve

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #3 on: 2016 January 06 11:10:24 »
Steve

I have no clue. I don't use a DSLR that has a banding, sorry. Maybe Georg will see the post and have an answer or someone who uses the script.

Mike

Offline georg.viehoever

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016 January 07 04:43:18 »
I have no clue. I don't use a DSLR that has a banding, sorry. Maybe Georg will see the post and have an answer or someone who uses the script.

The Banding script tries to remove horizontal bands (dark lines going from left to right). Its correct to use it before DBE. If you see that the script creates artefacts in lines that have bright stars, you need to activate "Protect Highlights" and play around with the threshold value.

There is no simple recipe for finding the right values - but on the other hand: compared to other PI tools this script has very few params, and you should find good values easily.

Georg
Georg (6 inch Newton, unmodified Canon EOS40D+80D, unguided EQ5 mount)