Author Topic: Really need removal of tiny stars  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Dimitris Platis

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Really need removal of tiny stars
« on: 2015 October 19 10:44:20 »
I have been experimenting with adjusting Tone Marring (by JP Metsavainio) to Pixinsight.
Star removal can up to a point be accommodated by a series of progressively more precise star mask and application of erosion or morphological transformation.
However, at the final stage when only tiny stars remain and nebulosity is very pronounced removal is extremely hard.
Dust and Stratches (PS) accomplishes removal without an effort. Any ideas how to do that in my beloved Pix?

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
Re: Really need removal of tiny stars
« Reply #1 on: 2015 October 19 12:49:05 »
Dimitris

Here is how I try using Morhpological Transformation. It's not perfect by any means. I use successive passes with star masks for both large and small stars. The number of passes and which size stars depends on the image subject. This image took 5 passes. The order I did this was small star then large, small then large and finally a last one of large. I make the mask after the each pass.

Mike

Offline jkmorse

• PixInsight Padawan
  • Two questions, Mitch . .
    • View Profile
    • Jim Morse Astronomy
« Reply #2 on: 2015 October 19 12:55:43 »
Mike,

That's a great technique for creating a target only mask.  Even having to run the several starmask/MT iterations beats the heck out of my efforts to do the same thing with CloneStamp.

Thanks,

Jim
Really, are clear skies, low wind and no moon that much to ask for? 

New Mexico Skies Observatory
SBIG STXL 6303E w/AOX
Planewave CDK17 - Paramount MEII
Planewave IFR90 - Astrodon LRGB & NB filters
SkyX - MaximDL - ACP

http://www.jimmorse-astronomy.com
http://www.astrobin.com/users/JimMors

Offline Dimitris Platis

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015 October 19 13:33:26 »
Yes I figured that something like that should be the answer.
I also use use multiple masks...similar to u. Probaly need a bit of Histogram stretching at the end to cover the black patches

I use multiple iterations (10) instead of interlacing. Any idea what the difference is?

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #4 on: 2015 October 19 18:11:12 »
Dimitris

Here is my very weak guess. Iterations is just rerunning your settings over and over till it ends. What ever settings you use it just repeats on the previous processed data. Interlacing seems to be filling your data by some amount with what looks like the mean of pixels near by. I am probably way off there. The stronger the mask the more fill. I took a simple picture with changing brightness to demonstrate. I used the image as the mask in this case. For my use of Morph I use the Morphological Selection at 0.50. Sort of a neutral between erosion and dilation.

Since I have not been able to find any explanation anywhere and there is no popup document that's my guess.

Mike

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #5 on: 2015 October 19 22:29:13 »

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #6 on: 2015 October 19 22:56:45 »
One last image. This is the same image as I used earlier but this time I used TGVInPaint. I used the same star mask settings as I used in the earlier image and the TGVInPaint settings from the video. The star masks have to be inverted for inpaint. I like how the large star removal went but not as much the small star. More time is needed to work out the right settings for TGVInPaint and small stars I think.

Mike

Offline Dimitris Platis

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015 October 19 22:58:53 »
That looks great.
Havent looked into TGVInPaint...but I will now.

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #8 on: 2015 October 19 23:01:49 »
Thanks Dimitris. I enjoy all the possibilities that PI gives us.

Offline jkmorse

• PixInsight Padawan
  • Two questions, Mitch . .
    • View Profile
    • Jim Morse Astronomy
« Reply #9 on: 2015 October 20 08:11:52 »
Mike,

Wow!  I have not looked at TGVInPaint yet but that is a great result.  I am sure you get into this in your tutorials but do you get this result from a single run or did you need to use your big star and small star mask technique?  (Only asking because I am at work and can't play with PI for a while  :sad:)

Best,

Jim
Really, are clear skies, low wind and no moon that much to ask for? 

New Mexico Skies Observatory
SBIG STXL 6303E w/AOX
Planewave CDK17 - Paramount MEII
Planewave IFR90 - Astrodon LRGB & NB filters
SkyX - MaximDL - ACP

http://www.jimmorse-astronomy.com
http://www.astrobin.com/users/JimMors

Offline llpastro

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
    • Sonoran Dark Skies
« Reply #10 on: 2015 October 20 09:49:25 »
Remind me from where one can download TGVInpaint please.

Larry
AP 140 Refractor
SBIG ST-10XME
AP Mach 1 Mount
ATS Portable Pier
Tucson, Arizona

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #11 on: 2015 October 20 10:35:19 »
Jim

It was a series of passes like with Morphological. It does well with a single pass but I like the result better with making multiple masks. Of course the image itself will dictate the use. This was the M8 and it's such a dense star field. The video of Regulus is a good example of what TGVInpaint can do with a not so dense star field and a single pass.

Larry

Here is the link to the posting by Carlos. http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=8970 You need to follow his install instructions as you have to disable the normal TGV module.

Mike

Offline cs_pixinsight

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015 October 20 11:34:49 »
Mike, thanks for giving a good use case for TGVInPaint.  I tried to view the Regulus video, but it doesn't work either in a browser or after downloading.  I think it might be corrupt.  Would you mind uploading it again?

Thanks, Craig

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #13 on: 2015 October 20 11:48:53 »
Craig

It works for me. What program are you trying to view it with? You might try VLC or PotPlayer as external players. I used Chrome and Firefox to play the video directly from Google Drive.  Here is the information on the video and audio of the mp4.

Mike

Offline cs_pixinsight

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015 October 21 11:59:24 »
Thanks for checking Mike.  I tried in FF 41.0.2 on a Mac running Yosemite (still doesn't work).  It does run directly in Safari 8.0.8 and IE 11, but the downloads from either of those do not work in QuickTime on the Mac or Media Player on the PC.  However, after downloading VLC it does play the same downloaded file on the PC.

To complicate things even further, the second video works in everything...go figure.

Craig