Author Topic: Veil Nebula Processing Challenge  (Read 2156 times)

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Veil Nebula Processing Challenge
« on: 2015 October 09 22:36:32 »
Hello Everyone

I just finished process The Veil Nebula 31 5 minute images and below is the results. So I was wondering what everyone else could do with the same data. I am learning and have taken to heart all the advise I have gotten on this forum but I have somewhat hit a wall after non linear stretching. I do not know were to go. This image even though I tried to sharpen the nebulosity with MMT (tried a target mask to mask everything else). The nebulosity still seems soft. So what do you guys/gals think.

Here is also the integrate dfile so you guys can try to process it as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2kaqotl20ch5qe/Light%20Intergration%20Veil%20Nebula%202%20hours%2035%20minutes.fit?dl=0

Thanks for any help offered.

Steve Herrman

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
Re: Veil Nebula Processing Challenge
« Reply #1 on: 2015 October 09 23:56:01 »
Steve

I took a quick shot at your image. I didn't really try to work with the stars with your image so please excuse them. I used deconvolution as the only sharpener. I used a structure mask with some convolution as the star mask for deringing. That's not what you would use as normal. I also did not use any noise reduction with your image. I also did something else that is not normal for color balance. I use AutoHistogram and based the Median value parameter on the average of the median statistics of the image. I did not use it to stretch the image. I also did some color saturation before stretching, I like color. You'll notice that in my image that there is nebula color and the brownish dust color on the Milky Way side of the nebula.

I am including the history icon zipped and a link to the full resolution image.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13r3kYqTf8NTXdaMmNuWFBQYnM/view?usp=sharing

Mike

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015 October 10 12:07:52 »
Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. I like the DeConvolution you used without a luminance mask protecting the background. I have not tried it with the lum mask but maybe I will to see what comes up. I like the deringing mask method though. Keep up the suggestions. I have been using The masked stretch combo routine from Harry's Astroshed web video tutorials I think it helps with the stars and does a better stretching of the midtones..

Steve

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015 October 10 16:10:30 »
Hi Mike Again

Well, I have processed my last nights image with some of your methods plus others and have come up with below image. You said you like a lot of color. I would send you the process container but unsure how to use it fully yet. Will need to learn. I have been saving a file and working on a clone for almost each section of the processing so no one history is available for the final image. I think in the future will make a clone and save that but continue to use the original image so I have a one complete history of all the processing (except when I save a synthetic Luminance which would have a parallel path
So how do you like the color?

Ooh where can I learn how to use the process container so people can see what work I have done on an image?

Steve

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #4 on: 2015 October 10 20:25:46 »
Steve

You need to unzip the history process container I attached. Then you can load or drag and drop the container into your work space. Here is a link that explains the different icons and how to use them from the PixInsight Resources website.
http://www.pixinsight.com.ar/en/docs/tag/4/icons.html

Mike

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015 October 10 20:34:51 »
Hi Mike

I figured that out my self it is reverse where I set up a process container. I need to know how to do that?

Thanks again

Steve Herrman

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #6 on: 2015 October 10 20:57:10 »
Steve

If your talking about making the History Explorer Icon it's done when you open the History Explorer. At the bottom left there is a New Instance blue triangle. Drag the triangle to the workspace. You now have the process container for the history you were looking at.

Mike

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015 October 10 21:18:19 »
Hi  Mike

THANKS

So what did you think of the 2nd image Cirrus East one?

Steve