Author Topic: How did I do on M33  (Read 3709 times)

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
How did I do on M33
« on: 2015 September 20 04:10:32 »
Hello Everyone

I would like to know what everyone thinks of my image of M33. It is 30 5 minute images taken with Takahashi FS 78 at 5.9 and an SBIG STF 8300C. Included in the zip file are 2 images one is the final and the other is yhe file just after post processing so anyone can try to work on the file and maybe come up with a better image. I would love to see that process as well since I have been only doing this for 6 months.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha7xh5uinv2oh1f/M3391815.zip?dl=0

Hope I did this post right and Thanks for all the comments and any processing you do THANKS AGAIN

Steve Herrman
STF 8300C
Canon 600D
Takahashi FS 78
PixInsight for all Processing

Offline Alejandro Tombolini

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
Re: How did I do on M33
« Reply #1 on: 2015 September 20 15:44:04 »
Hi Steve, the image is already nonlinear. For anyone to try is better if you could provide the integrated image without any process applied.
I think that some aberration in the integrated image could be reduced if you register your lights taken as reference an individual channel of one of the images (R for example) or register them individually after integration.
Saludos, Alejandro.

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015 September 20 16:27:04 »
Hello Alejandro

Thanks for the reply. I have added the integrated image without any processes in my dropbox folder (link below) name M33Integrated.

On your suggestion I about regeistration etc I am not sure what you mean. I normally just use Batch preprocessing I choose just 1 reference image (I am using a OSC camera so no separate channels).

Thanks for your help in advanced.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Processing%20PixInsight?preview=M33Integrated.xisf

Steve Herrman

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #3 on: 2015 September 20 16:45:51 »
Hi Steve, I am having problems with the link...

On your suggestion I about regeistration etc I am not sure what you mean. I normally just use Batch preprocessing I choose just 1 reference image (I am using a OSC camera so no separate channels).
The channels Red and Blue are misaligned. It could probably be improved registering one with reference to other. You can do it once you have the final integration extracting R, G and B channel and using StarAlignment tool to align them again.

Saludos, Alejandro.

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015 September 20 17:14:02 »
Hi Alejandro

Okay I think I fixed the link and I will try your suggestion about realigning the channels. Hope link works and I can see what someone else can do with the image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r98ovljq54s2he5/M33Integrated.xisf?dl=0

Steve

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #5 on: 2015 September 20 17:38:05 »
Hi Steve, the link worked but seems to be the same image already stretched. May be you saved your image for first time when it already had applied some process.
Saludos, Alejandro.

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015 September 20 17:48:32 »
Hi Alejandro

Unsure how to realign the channels. Have extracted RGB and then opened Star Alignment but after that it gets confusing at what to do. The original images were from a OSC camera and during Batch PreProcessing I selected an image as a reference  (from list of all ligths) and then continue to preprocess. So am confused on how to complete your suggestion at this time. Please help

Steve Herrman

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #7 on: 2015 September 20 18:12:16 »
Hi Steve, this processing example will help. See what I did after CanonBandingReduction Script.

The idea is:

1) Extract channels form your integrated image with ChannelExtraction tool.
2) Align those channels with StarAlignmet module
3 Combine channels with ChannelCombination tool

Saludos, Alejandro.

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015 September 20 19:28:15 »
Hi Alejandro

I got it figured out and it does help. THANKS. I would love to see what you could do processing the image from the corrected link. I am new to this and everything I learn from the forum has helped a lot.

Thanks again if you show me an additional processing of this image of M33.

Steve

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #9 on: 2015 September 20 20:13:26 »
Hi Steve, The image in the last post is still "M33Integrated", which is an image to which has been applied some process like HistogramTransformation that make the image non linear.
I would like to see the original integrated image. If you are using BatchPreprocessing script is the one called light-BINNING_1.fit
Saludos, Alejandro.

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015 September 20 21:07:49 »
Hello Alejandro

I hope I have it correct now with the no processes on the image whatsoever (I hope it is not stretched now)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ockkixf3hbu6cwl/M33-light-BINNING_1.xisf?dl=0

Steve And Thanks again for being so patient

Offline roofkid

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015 September 21 11:09:08 »
Hi Steve,

this is the first time I've worked on someone elses image. I purposely did not look at your final image to not influence myself. I attached my result. I'm not sure how good it is - I'm still on the trial and still learning :) I've also attached the process icons (I hope). I'm not sure if the result is any good but take a look and decide for yourself.

What I immediately noticed on your image was, that I found it extremely easy to do the background extraction because there are so few stars in the image compared to my own imaging with only lenses on the DSLR. So that's something learned right there. I never expected the faster lenses to have such a dramatic effect. I usually have problems placing the samples because there're stars everywhere.

I want to ask something as well. The source image is really dark - as are a lot of other samples here. Even my linear images show a lot more than I see in most images here. How do you guys know you actually captured the right target? Did you see the galaxy faintly on the back of your camera when you captured the image? I usually see some parts of what I want to capture and now am wondering if I expose too long (going by the "x axis detachment of skyfog mountain" concept at the moment with the back of camera histogram).

Cheers,
Sven

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015 September 21 20:13:08 »
Hi Sven

I am using a  inch telescope at F5.9  (490mm) and a SBIG STF 8300C electronically cooled camera. So I am using more magnification. I hope you stretched with STF to see my image before DBE. I did follow Alejandro's suggestion above to correct a misalignment problem and then reprocessed my image. It is attached now. What do you think? Still awaiting Alejandro's attempt at the processing as well.

Thanks for any comments everybody

Keep trying it will get easier.

Steve Herrman
« Last Edit: 2015 September 21 20:21:26 by tdgm »

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #13 on: 2015 September 26 20:04:21 »
Hi Steve, here is my try with your image. I used DBE to remove gradients, several aplications of AdaptiveStretch protecting with a rangemask to give more contrast and also the new module of Carlos, TGVInpaint to correct background.
I hope it is useful.
Saludos, Alejandro.

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015 September 26 21:01:44 »
Hi Alejandro

Thanks for that whole image processing routine it will greatly enhance my processing knowledge but have 3 questions:

1-How to you choose the reference in the new star alignment?
2-Where is the InterChannel Curves Process?
3- How dio I get the new TGVInPaint module as well?

I have tried to update my PixInsight and it says it is up to date as off today 9/26/2015

Steve Herrman