Author Topic: First try of DrizzleIntegration: Omega Cent  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
First try of DrizzleIntegration: Omega Cent
« on: 2014 June 02 19:35:06 »
Hi,

Last Saturday I acquired a bit over one our of data of Omega Cent, taking advantage of its good elevation, and a fairly good seeing. Needless to say, I rushed to try the new DrizzleIntegration module, and with great success!

I processed 22 dithered frames, 3 minute each, taken with my canon 6D (ISO800) cooled to -5°C (sensor), and a FL of 865mm. The module handled beautifully a couple of satellite trails, and produced a very finely resolved image. BTW, with the native resolution of the canon (20MP), and 2x drizzle, I ended up post-processing a 1GB fits file!

Very happy with this result. Recommend viewing the high resolution version (14MP, 50% of drizzled output).

low res: http://www.pampaskies.com/gallery3/Deep-Space-Objects/OmegaCent_drizzle

hi res: http://www.pampaskies.com/gallery3/var/fulres/OmegaCent_drizzle_hires.JPG

cheers,
Ignacio

Offline Physicist13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: First try of DrizzleIntegration: Omega Cent
« Reply #1 on: 2014 June 03 00:55:34 »
*falls off chair !! WOW!

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
« Reply #2 on: 2014 June 03 07:02:55 »
*falls off chair !! WOW!

:) Thanks!

Ignacio

Offline IanL

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
    • The Imaging Toolbox
« Reply #3 on: 2014 June 03 08:17:37 »
Superb!  The icing on the cake is the detail in the tiny spiral galaxy at centre left of the image.

Offline MikeOates

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014 June 03 08:57:27 »
Ignacio,

An incredible image, even more so for it being a DSLR. A great example to showcase the new DrizzleIntegration.

Just as Juan posted new of the Drizzle implementation in PI I was out imaging M13 and thought, great just the image to try it on, but later I realised that for some odd reason there was no dithering taking place!!!!! A tick box was unticked Grrrr. That was the same night I also manged to take 100 bias frames with the light panel on the scope! I must have been tired.

Mike

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
« Reply #5 on: 2014 June 03 10:46:46 »
Ian, Mike, appreciate your kind feedback. It is always nice to go back to old classics and discover new depths.

Mike: too bad you missed that dithering check box. I am sure you will have plenty of opportunities to try this in the near future (even on old data). Now, your bias/flat mishap, there is no coming back from that one  :D Somebody should collect and write a book on astroimagers bloopers! I could contribute a few of my own.

I have great hopes for this new drizzle tool, particularly for its potential to circumvent debayering interpolation. Being a DSLR user, I have been looking for something like this for quite some time.

cheers
Ignacio
« Last Edit: 2014 June 03 13:13:35 by Ignacio »

Offline Alfredo Beltran

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014 June 04 19:24:18 »
Impressive image Ignacio. Congratulations!

It is worth to try drizzle to get that level of resolution. Thanks for posting.

Regards

Alfredo
iOptron CEM60
Celestron 925 EdgeHD Hyperstar
MicroTouch Focuser
ZWO ASI071 MC Pro
Bogota, Colombia
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfredo_beltran/

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
« Reply #7 on: 2014 June 06 07:12:00 »
Thanks, Alfredo! Definitely worth applying, as it only takes a single extra step in the workflow. You need, however, a computer powerful enough (memory and speed), to post-process a 4x larger image.

Ignacio