Author Topic: NGC2685 Noise Challange  (Read 1614 times)

Offline astroedo

• PixInsight Addict
  • Io ne ho viste... cose che voi umani...
    • View Profile
    • L'arciere celeste
NGC2685 Noise Challange
« on: 2014 March 20 12:13:20 »
Hello to all the forum.

On march 8th, after many many week of clouds and rain I finally managed to get some light from the heavens  :D

Unfortunately the sky condition was quite bad: a bright half moon spreading light all around and a little bit of haze turning stars into balloons.
Despite this i got some signal from NGC 2685 the helix galaxy.

Unfortunately this signal is submerged by a lot of noise.

I've tried to handle it with TGVDenoise before and than MultiscaleMedianTransform (both on linear data) but I'm not completely satisfied by the result (look here http://www.astrobin.com/84054/).

I would like to see what an experienced guy can do with my image and which are the better strategies to apply for noise reduction of this poor data.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9qa87c42kyydjg/light-FILTER_Luminance-BINNING_1_solved.fit

Thank you

Edoardo

Offline bianry

• PixInsight Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: NGC2685 Noise Challange
« Reply #1 on: 2014 March 20 12:51:37 »
It looks to my untrained eye like your signal is too weak. Drowning in noise. And TGV and MMT has chipped away at the faint arms of the galaxy. May I ask how many minutes are combined/stacked in this image?
I am in the process of imaging a galaxy myself. NGC 5033. Very, very hard to get a signal out of the noise.

regards

Mats

Offline astroedo

• PixInsight Addict
  • Io ne ho viste... cose che voi umani...
    • View Profile
    • L'arciere celeste
Re: NGC2685 Noise Challange
« Reply #2 on: 2014 March 20 13:00:17 »
It is a stack of 30x300 seconds images with a SBIG ST2000XM camera @ -25°C on an F10 Celestron C9.25 telescope and an Astrodon Luminance filter.

I Hope that someone here could give me some hints to get a better result using it as a tutorial.

Thank you